Mum being scammed...

MrsChristmas

Jun 1, 2015
Just some advice please?

My mum (aged 94) lives on her own with no outside help but lives next door to me.

Mum's GP says that she has capacity and Social Care have visited.

My sibling lives miles away and I run a business which takes up most of my time.Mum's memory is fast deteriorating but she is able to keep herself clean, feed herself and so on. My sibling and me do what we can to look after her but she does spend days and days on her own. She has refused all outside help.

I havn't seen my sibling since Christmas (he is tied up with his new house) and there has been some concerns about money raised by Mum which I'll sort out when we are altogether.

I saw mum yesterday to get a list for her shopping. Mum had fallen over the telephone wire to get to the door to see me. The phone isn't working anyway so if there is anything wrong she can't call anyone until it's fixed. My sibling is having trouble contacting her to arrange for an engineer to come.

Mum had a fall earlier this year (fell over a carpet) and grazed her elbow and bruises up her arm.

Mum's home is in a state with empty plastic bottles all over the place, the carpets hadn't been hoovered for days. Her dishwasher is not working so her cups are all stained and her washing machine has mold growing at the door. It's so sad it's come to this.

Mum's ankles are still swollen but I was able to sort out a painful corn on her toe (she refuses to go or have a chiropodist visit her). I managed to persuade her to get rid of one of her carpets (she has off-cuts at the entrances to protect the carpet) which was rucked up.

So you can imagine the scene when I arrived...phone on the floor with wire trailing, plastic bottles everywhere, place desperate for a tidy up and not much food in the fridge.

Mum does have delusions now about all sorts of things - going into town, visiting my brother...

I have organised a food delivery for Mum.

I had a call from my sibling today to say that Mum had been scammed by a man who wanted to do some work on her garden for £150.00 and he wanted me to 'hover around' to see if this person turns up. I am out all day tomorrow and can't help out.

We had a discussion about Mum in general (it's a circular argument - we've talked many times about mum's situation) with me explaining to him about the state of mum's home, a need for a new washing machine, dishwasher, no food, broken phone but all he would say is that the GP has diagnosed capacity so there is nothing we can do.

I've done loads of research and seem to remember that once an elderly person has been victim to a visitor trying to take money that this trigger's more involvement by social care and/or GP or am I wrong?

It is very hard to see Mum the way she is and it seems to affect me more than my sibling. In fact he laughed when I told him that Mum had put some of the plastic bottles in a shopping bag behind a door...I just felt sorry for mum.

Mum does keep herself clean so that's not the problem it's the fact that she is incredibly vulnerable, living in squalor.

Is this enough to speak to Social care again?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
When my dad was alive he was scammed by someone who wanted to “realign the ridge-tiles” on his bungalow for £400. Fortunately he was scared off by the neighbours, but not before taking the £40 dad had in his house off him. I let the police know and although they didn’t catch the chap they did have dad listed as a vulnerable adult so when they found him wandering the streets some weeks later they took him home and let me know about it. So I think it’s worth letting them know about your mum.

I would be speaking to SS again. Let them know that she’s been scammed by someone knocking on her door. If your mum is living in dangerous conditions (squalor) alone and having falls she’s vulnerable, especially at 94. I’m not sure that they’ll do much if she refuses help and is deemed to have capacity so unless you can think of some sneaky excuse that your mum would accept for having a helper - I told my dad a friend of mine was looking for a cleaning job.

Perhaps your mum would accept a visit from an Occupational Therapist to see how the house can be made as safe as possible for her. This might help to get some help from SS if the OT thinks she’s not coping.

I hope you can get some help.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I'm not aware that being scammed is a trigger point for involvement by the GP/SS, but given the state of her house and the way she's living, it would be worth calling SS. And good idea from Bunpoots about involving OT to ensure the house is safe (I think both SS and GP are able to request an OT visit). However this all depends on your mother agreeing to let OT and/or SS into the house. If she tells them she is fine and doesn't need any help (and they believe she has capacity to make that decision) unfortunately that will be the end of it. But definitely worth giving it a try to see what they can do.

A lot of the issues (the mess, broken appliances) are not something which would concern SS, they would see that as something which the family need to deal with. As LPA you/your brother can apply for Attendance Allowance on her behalf which would cover the cost of a cleaner each week - but again, she'd have to accept someone coming in to help.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Take photos of the house and send them to your brother so that he can see what is or isn’t happening.

Do you have Lasting Powers of Attorney in place? If not then try to get your mother to agree to them while she still has capacity.

TheBearsMummy

Sep 29, 2017
East Midlands
Do you have a Community Police officer? You should be able to find contact details for them on your local police website. I would tell them about the scammers and ask them to visit with you just as a "friendly chat to say hello as they are in the neighbourhood" so they can see for themselves that she is a vulnerable adult. They should then raise a safeguarding concern with the SS team.
It might also be worth calling the doctor out using the fall as an excuse and say she cannot attend the surgery, once the doctor sees beyond the hostess mode she is using when she visits them they should also be in contact with SS team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti