mum back at 'home'

outofmydepth

Feb 28, 2012
My mum has finally returned 'home' after being in hospital ,I was shocked at how badly nursing staff and even doctors were around her .................now I understand how awful it is for a dementia sufferer to be in hospital

They just don't 'get it' and I am glad she is away from there ,I intend to do everything I can to keep her out of the hospital environment from now on

shocking

ggma

Feb 18, 2012
North Staffordshire
I know you wanted your Mum home, so pleased to read that you have manged to get her hom. I hope you get some help and support with her care and that you can manage and that the time you have with your Mum is as you want it to be.

Look after yourself and take care

craftyviola

Feb 17, 2012
Malvern
Outofmydepth - I had a similar experience with my Mum after a 5 week stay. No they certainly do not "get it" and no amount of explaining that Mum had dementia made the blindest bit if difference - as a carer you are invisible and frankly a nuisance to them. They waved a document about Dementia Pathways or something or other when I dared to ask what extra care they gave dementia patients. It would seem that they take less notice of this paper directive than they do of the dementia patients.

The worse possible place for someone suffering with dementia in my opinion!

outofmydepth

Feb 28, 2012
Thank you both for your posts ,they are appreciated

sadly ggma ,mum is back at the nursing home not home where I would like her to be,however if it's the home or hospital the home wins every time ....................as for getting her back home properly,that is still a work in progress

Life is ups and downs all the way now ,thankfully we are on an up at this time