1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Weds 28 August, 3-4pm

    As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

    Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 28 August between 3-4pm.

    You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Mum awarded funding towards her care but will have to move

Discussion in 'Middle - later stages of dementia' started by Lady in blue, Mar 6, 2015.

  1. Lady in blue

    Lady in blue Registered User

    Mar 6, 2015
    #1 Lady in blue, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Hello everyone - I am new to the forum and hope that I will be able to offer and receive support and information at this very difficult time.
    My lovely Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease and vascular dementia in 2009 and was able to continue living in her own home with the support of home carers and the family until late in 2010 when she fell backwards down the stairs and after a long stay in hospital moved into a lovely local residential care home who care for those with dementia where she is still living to this day.
    She has been totally self funding since moving there.
    Her condition has deteriorated over the past 4 years to a point now that she is unable to walk or stand and has to be hoisted, she has to be bathed and dressed, changed and fed by carers and doesn't speak except for the occasional odd word or two. It appears that she now doesn't recognise family members when they visit but we do always get a smile so.... who knows really ?:(
    A recent and long awaited continuing care assessment was carried out many months ago - the result of which was that she is not eligible for continuing healthcare but is eligible for NHS-funded nursing care. However, we have been told that to receive this funding she has to move from the residential care home she has lived in for over 4 years to a nursing home even though the residential home have been caring for all her needs very well and to our high standard of satisfaction.
    My questions are - can Mum be made to move to receive this funding as we feel the move alone after being in one familiar place for over 4 years will kill her ? Is it worth appealing and challenging the 'powers that be'?
    Any opinions and information will be gratefully received.
    Thank you.
  2. chris53

    chris53 Registered User

    Nov 9, 2009
    Hello Lady in blue, just wanted to give you a warm welcome to Talking Point:)so pleased that your mum has been so well cared for:) I am sorry I cannot help this time as no experience of this sort of situation, but am sure many here will be able to give you some answers, above all understanding and support is always here,so please keep posting.
    Take care
  3. Lady in blue

    Lady in blue Registered User

    Mar 6, 2015
    Thank you so much for your warm welcome.
    It is much appreciated.
  4. Lindy50

    Lindy50 Registered User

    Dec 11, 2013
    Hi Lady in Blue and welcome :)

    My understanding is that the NHS funded nursing care element has to paid for qualified nursing care....hence your mum cannot receive it in her current residential home.

    However, as she is self funding you are not obliged to move her at all and can keep her in her current care home.

    It does seem unfair financially but that's my understanding of it. I may be wrong, though, and in this case would be delighted if I am! :)

    All the best

    Lindy xx
  5. Angela T

    Angela T Registered User

    Jul 13, 2014
    Hi Lady in Blue, and welcome,

    My understanding is the same as Lindy50, since my mother is receiving specialised nursing care in a nursing home.

    I think that NHS funded nursing care can only be paid in a nursing home. I suppose the residential home is not able to claim for the FNC.
  6. piph

    piph Registered User

    Feb 4, 2013
    I may be talking out of my 'a**e here, and apologise if I am, but if the funded nursing care has to be carried out by a qualified nurse, and if it's for a certain number of hours per week, could you, or the residential home in which your Mum is obviously well settled, employ a qualified nurse to do work those hours, and do the 'nursing bit' in the current home? Of course it may be unworkable, or not permitted, but surely it's worth a try?
  7. jaymor

    jaymor Volunteer Moderator

    Jul 14, 2006
    It is also my understanding that NHS funded nursing can only be received within a home that is registered to provide nursing.
  8. nitram

    nitram Registered User

    Apr 6, 2011
    North Manchester
    If she is self funding and the current residential placement plus nursing input from the district nursing service is sufficient and the home agree to that there is no need for a move.
  9. Lady in blue

    Lady in blue Registered User

    Mar 6, 2015
    #9 Lady in blue, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply.
    We have no intention of moving Mum as she is very settled where she is but it does seem unfair that the care home where she is couldn't be rewarded with the funding she has been awarded .
    I understand the logic of it all but I am frustrated too !
    We have an appeal meeting arranged for next week and wonder if it's worth the stress and upset of going if we don't really have a chance of getting anything changed ?
    Can anyone advise me please ?
  10. piph

    piph Registered User

    Feb 4, 2013
    I'd say go - it's worth a try. If you don't then they may think you aren't bothered either way. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
  11. Saffie

    Saffie Registered User

    Mar 26, 2011
    Near Southampton
    The whole point is that a nursing home has nurses there all the time, not just visiting.
    This is why one has to qualify for the need.
    Nursing homes are usually a lot more expensive than Care homes for this reason and hence, the added nursing element payment.
    If your mother didn't have the need for nursing, then I would assume her present home could continue to fulfill her nursing needs but it sounds as though she now does require the extra nursing care.
  12. Witzend

    Witzend Registered User

    Aug 29, 2007
    SW London
    If you did have to move her to a nursing home, it might not affect her nearly as much as you fear.

    We have had to move two relatives with dementia: my FIL, from a residential to a nursing home after his physical health deteriorated, and an aunt, from an ordinary residential to a specialist dementia home, after her dementia got worse and she started to bother the non-dementia residents.

    Although we were very anxious both times, the moves seemed to affect them very little. FIl's dementia was fairly advanced - the aunt was probably late-moderate stage.
  13. Chemmy

    Chemmy Registered User

    Nov 7, 2011
    My mum had similar issues and the residential home took her to end of life with the aid of district nurses.

    I wouldn't move her if it is at all avoidable.
  14. Lady in blue

    Lady in blue Registered User

    Mar 6, 2015
    Thank you. This is my hope for Mum now - that she is able to stay where she is with the input of district nurses and the 'end of life pathway'.
    I think we will still go to the meeting just to voice our opinion if nothing else - we owe it to Mum.
  15. lexy

    lexy Registered User

    Nov 24, 2013
    #15 lexy, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  16. SpidersWeb

    SpidersWeb Registered User

    Nov 8, 2014
    My sympathies - continuing care funding eligibility?

    I'm very sorry to hear that you are having problems accessing the NHS Nursing Care Funding awarded to your mother without moving her from her current carehome which you are very happy with. I hope you are successful in finding a way round the problem and keeping your Mum in her current home.

    Our circumstances are very similar - my mother is 98 and has advanced vascular dementia. She has been self funding in a specialist dementia care home for over five years. Her home was sold to pay for her continuing care. Like you we applied and were successful in gaining the nursing element of funding but her carehome employs qualified nursing staff.

    I'm very concerned that like you we have both been unsuccessful in gaining an award for contiuning care. My dear mother is incontinent, immobile, unable to make her needs known, has very serious difficulties swallowing and needs a pureed diet and thickened drinks and assisted feeding very slowly indeed to try to avoid her choking. And since a hospital admission to A&E last year following a serious choking incident which required the nursing staff to use the heimlich manouvre to save her, is distressed and constantly calling out for help.

    So I'm sorry I cannot offer you more help only a sympathetic ear. I do wonder exactly what do we have to do to gain continuing care funding for our very sick nearest and dearest. I thought my Mum would score highly on the initial assessment which took place last year but she also failed to meet the criteria too! Her annual review meeting is in a week or two and I intend to raise this again but don't hold out much hope of success!
  17. Lady in blue

    Lady in blue Registered User

    Mar 6, 2015
    #17 Lady in blue, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    My Mum has been in her current EMI residential home for 4 years now.
    When she first went there she was mobilising, feeding herself and only needed minimal supervision with her dressing and washing.
    She has since deteriorated to such a degree that she needs assistance with all aspects of her activities of daily living but the home is happy to continue with her care as long as we are happy for her to be there.
    We have no worries about the level of care she receives in the residential home and feel her needs are totally met.
    It appears the assessment process may be seriously flawed in situations such as our Mums.
  18. Saffie

    Saffie Registered User

    Mar 26, 2011
    Near Southampton
    It could be that as you are self-funding you could leave your mother in her present home but forego the Nursing funding.
  19. Lady in blue

    Lady in blue Registered User

    Mar 6, 2015
    This is our plan.
    The money awarded doesn't matter.
    All we want is for Mum to be safe and comfortable which is why she is staying where she is.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.