Mum at 'stage 7' aged 62 and I am lost

DianeG

Oct 12, 2007
Glasgow
Please help. I don't know what to think or do. Mum is unable to walk, feed, toilet, talk smile, hold her head...pretty much everything. Feeding is a nightmare and I feel like there is nowhere that supports the younger people with dementia and understanding what may happen next. I know it's impossible to say but I feel like she is existing no living and I feel awful for thinking that its so hard for me when it must be horrendous for her. She's been in a care home for 3 years now and not walking for 2. Feel like every list I read she's ticked every box yet she still goes on as she has healthy organs. Love her to bits and hate having to see her like this.

janma221

Apr 23, 2013
Powys
I'm so sorry you have to go through this at an early age. There is a thread on here for younger people with dementia as 62 is no age to have this awful disease.
Take care
Jan xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
How awful Diane. My heart goes out to you and to your mum. She is the same age as me so that really brings your situation home to me. All I can do is send my best wishes and say I'm thinking of you. Please keep using TP I'm sure you will get lots of personal support here. Take care. x

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Diane, it must be heartbreaking to see your mum at such an advanced stage of dementia at such a young age. Please keep posting.

turbo

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Diane, you and your mum are so young to fight this illness, please do keep posting as there is so much understanding here for when you need it.
My thoughts are with you
Chris x

Millsa2

Jul 12, 2013
Hi Diane,
I can't help you but just wanted you to know you're not alone.
My dad is 65 and around stage 5 so not as advanced but has had it for around 10yrs, mum says prob 13yrs.
I've only joined TP today but they've all been really helpful do far.
Big hugs
Angie xxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hello Diane

Your post is so sad. My husband has severe stage he's 66 and I know what you mean about the organs being strong. I don't know if I can help you, but I'm going to try anyway. Your Mum probably still has pleasure in life.Think of the good things you do for her.She could still recognise your voice and be aware of you. Does she like music being played or a hand massage (my husband loves both of these)

Perhaps she likes different textiles being gently rubbed against her face (velvet or a soft fleece are good). Open a window and let your Mum hear birdsong-if there isn't any play a CD with it on.

I'm so sorry you feel lost -it's a terrible disease. Try to keep posting on TP because you will get lots of support.

Take care Lyn T

mairihall

Aug 9, 2011
ayrshire scotland
Hi Diane,
I really feel your pain and understand what you are going through. My dad is now 72 and has suffered from dementia since his early 60's. he can still walk but has little or no control of his bodily functions, can't form a coherent sentence and most of the time he thinks i am his sister or his mother (both who have long since passed)...yet like your mum his organs are healthy and strong. he has never has high blood pressure, cholestrol, diabetes etc therefore who knows how long he will be with us. Every day is so painfull and all i want for him is peace and relief. Sending you and your mum kind wishes and big hugs. xxxx