Mum at peace now

widdy

May 26, 2015
Hello to my friends on TP. Mum stopped eating and drinking on Thursday last week so I knew that time would be short for my lovely mum. I received a call at 9.30pm on Sunday to say she had gone down hill and it would be best if I could get closer to home as I was away on a few days break. I phoned the home on Monday morning to be told that she had taken a turn for the worse so we all arrived at the home to see her. No movement from her and she was in a very deep sleep. We stayed all day and some of the evening with her, and returned this morning at 7.30am. Still no movement and still in a deep sleep, even when the girls came in to turn her and make sure she was comfortable.Mt brother sister and I decided that we would go home to have a break but would keep in contact with the NH to make sure how things were so left her at 2.30pm telling her that we loved her and she had put up a good fight but if she was tired it was alright to go. All of a sudden her eyes opened she knew who we were and tried to talk to us. We said our good byes and told her we would see her later. Only to just walk in the front door to get a phone call to say mum had gone down hill again when we left. To come back to the NH only when I had got hold of my brother and sister to tell them I got another phone call to say Mum had passed away. Mum,s death was so different to what I had expected she needed no medication to ease her pain, no horrible changing of that colour that everyone says the end of life shows and she just slipped away to be reunited with my dad. As I sit and write this I know she is in a better place free from the dementia but I feel that I now have a big hole in my life that will never be filled again. I know this pain will get less as we have so many happy memories but at this moment I miss my mum more than I can say. Thank you for reading this,my thoughts are with you and your loved ones.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Bless you for posting that.

We've had so many scares these past few months when ' the end could be close' and then my mother 'recovered'. She's had her 'just in case meds for over a year now and with the latest bout she had a severe couple of seizures, after which one side turned cyanotic and I thought the end had come. But no her colour changed back to normal and she's still here a fortnight later.

I've become so afraid that she's just going to go and on with more suffering each time and her QoL is so poor now, so I had been searching whether a PWD can just have a 'peaceful' end.
Good to know some can.

Know though you may be grieving that can be a comfort to others.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
sorry to hear about your mum but hope you take some comfort from the fact it was peaceful. x

Emmajayne

Aug 7, 2016
Lost my grandma 10 days ago, similar situation to your lovely mum, she stopped eating and drinking but she lasted SIX WEEKS!! Theyre such a strong generation xx
Like your mum, my grandma was a massive influence in my life and things wil never be the same.
They are free from torment now.
Thinking of you at this sad time xx

Hezzy

Sep 6, 2016
Thank you for posting Widdy and so sorry to hear of your loss.
My mom just stopped eating this week and I am to and from the N H.

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
So sorry. Even though you know she's free of dementia it's hard losing her. Best wishes.

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
So sorry for your loss widdy. I know how hard it is. Thankfully it was a peaceful end, it was for my dad too. Somehow it makes you less fearful of your own death, strange as that seems. You will find the strength to get you through. It comes from somewhere deep inside, but it is there! Trust me. Xxx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My sympathy to you and your family. I went through a similar path with my Mum and her end was also peaceful. The best image I could come up with was that her face smoothed out...the pain, confusion and fear had gone, she was at peace.

Eighteen months on I still miss her, of course I do.....but for me the pain of loss has softened to a sometime ache.
Thinking of you all....Maureen.x

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
Please accept my condolences. Having just lost Mum, I can understand how you feel.

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
So sorry for your loss.X Your mum is at peace, you have suffered along with her, I know...I still think of my mum every day, over 2 years ago she passed from cancer... But I remember the times b4 she was ill now. I wish that for you too. Take care, love from G. Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point