Mum and pooping.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hello everyone,

Think I am just having a bit of a worry since FIL died last week from dementia. Bear with me though.

According to the nurse today mum wasn't eating or drinking for 3 days last week and was severely constipated. She has pooped after more medcine and is eating a bit better.Mum doesn't eat much normally though.She is on a daily dose of lactulose to help things along. She is 94 and things are not working as well as they used to. I am worried that this is the start of things going downhill.

Hopefully, this is just a blip, but I don't lots of them and they join together. :(

Thanks for listening.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Constipation always makes the symptoms of dementia worse.
Hopefully your mum will be more comfortable now and will be eating a bit better.

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
Is there any medication she is on which might be causing this?

I was in A&E with my mum on Saturday with the same symptoms, albeit obviously a bit worse than your mum. She has been taking Tramadol on the GPs advice for several years. The consultant we saw blamed it on that and said she should stop taking it immediately. She said nobody over the age of 60 should be taking it and my mum's 93.

So there you are, more contradictory information from the medical profession. No wonder my mum distrusts all of them!