Mum and money

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
All helpful advice, thank you, I'll have to learn to be a bit devious. I thought mum had £25 last week, and all she has had is a hair-do £5 and the chiropodist (just to cut her toe nails, also £5, isn't that extortionate?, I did her finger nails myself yesterday, should I have to do that? I don't mind, but it just makes me wonder what I am paying for. Why does she need a chiropodist to cut her toe nails, isn't that a standard job for a care worker?

I don't have very steady hands so I worry about cutting mums finger and toe nails. I also have a back problem, so getting down to her feet is a bit of an issue for me. Is it my job? What do residents do who have no relatives? Just pay, I assume.

Regards

Margaret

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Margaret,

I have back trouble and am partially sighted so cannot bend or see to cut my toe nails. I go to Age Concern to have them cut and pay £5, just as your mother does. The person who cuts them had to train to do it properly.

My husband is diabetic, and he has his feet checked at the local clinic, including having his nails cut, but his treatment is free.

Carers would not be insured to cut your mother`s nails. In the society we live in where litigation is a rule of thumb, practitioners have to be very careful indeed.

Take care xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother has her toenails done by the chiropodist. But that's not the only thing chiropodists look at. They are particular about checking for infection also, which is a real concern for older people. They assess the health of the feet in general.

I go to the same chiropodist, simply because she does a much better job than I do cutting my toenails. I hack away & make a mess. A few times I've ended up with an ingrown toenail (OUCH). She also frightened me about going for pedicures, as she's very strict about hygiene. She says never go to a place that uses plastic bowls to soak your feet, as plastic cannot be properly sterilized. I think it's money well spent, although here it costs me & mum the equivalent of £12.50. So don't complain.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Margaret,
I agree with others about the chiropodist. It is truly a matter of professional care, rather than amateur care. In this case I'd stick with the podiatrist if I were you.

As for the Carers, there is no way the ones at Mum's NH have time for such care - basic care is all they can manage. (You may recall that Taffy and I have anbissue with this NH because of what we see as under staffing.)

One bright side though - unless your Mum is diabetic or has serious foot problems, it should be sufficient for her to see a chiropodist only every second month. This may vary if her toenails grow very fast :eek: - which sometimes seem to happen! (Goodness knows why!)

Best of luck with sorting out all the services (and non-servoces!) of the NH. It all takes time - and effort!!

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
OK folks, now that I have done mum's finger nails, I appreciate the toe nails are a bigger problem.

It might be me, but my nails grow very fast, I have to do my toe nails twice a week, and £5 a time frightened me. But mum doesn't seem to have the same problem.

Funny how these little things matter!

Margaret

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
ACtually, the chiropodist charged £8 not £5. Now when I am in that position, it is going to cost me £16 a week!

Am I abnormal? Same with fingernails. Twice a week AT LEAST.

Think I'm going to be an expensive old lady!

Margaret

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Maybe, Margaret, when you get older the rate of growth will slow down. I have no idea whether that happens, but other cell turnover slows so why not this?

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi everyone,

I haven't read this thread for a little while, just gone through it again, and now realise what an effect other people's advice has had on me, cos, Taffy, last night I had a dream, like many dreams no idea what it was about - but it involved fake money!!!!

Now I know where it came from!

Thanks all.

Margaret