mum and me

toura

Feb 5, 2008
hertfordshire
:(hi just dont know wat to do had the o t came round to disscusse mum and a stairlift because mum cant hold herself up anymore they said it would be dangers for mum as she could fall forward and that imight not be quick enough to stop the lift and catch her in time as i would be walking behind mum dont want to leave her upstairs all the time in bed althow all mum dose is sleep am i being silly althow mum in the last stage of alz i try to keep her on the go she barely walks now do u think i should just leave her or carry on she weighs about 6 half but she a dead weight if i leave her upstairs all the time i fell that iv let her down and that she wiil wast away any help would be appreate thank u

Softy

Jan 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hi Toura

How dreadfull for you, is there anyway that you could move a bed downstairs for your mum that way you would not have to carry her up and down. I understand the chairlift being dangerous but carrying her on your own must be 2. I hope someone else has some advice for you its along time since we had Dad at home and he was mobile. Thinking of you.

salacious

May 25, 2008
west midlands
Hi there toura

it seems to me like keeping your mom upstairs would be a lot harder for you also, having to constantly go upstairs would tire you out then you wouldnt be able to give her the full attention she needs.

do you have room downstairs for a bed in your front room? just before my mom died we had a bed downstairs for her in the front room so she could always see people around her and be as we used to say 'in the thick of it' also do you have a hospital bed or a normal bed in the house? does your mother need caring for any incontinence? if she does then you can ask for a hospital bed, that way any nurses or carers that may need to clean her or dress her dont have to bend so low and so can give your mom the best care possible.

it is best to speak to someone about these things. as i say its not just for the wellness of your mother, but also for you.

much love

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
Here's my tuppence:

If your mother really does sleep pretty much the whole time,and is happy in bed, why not let her stay there - you will be able to be with her as much as is neccesary.

If you think that she would be happier "in the thick of it", I guess a bed downstairs is an option - although I wonder whether that might not be a bit of an upsetting change for her. On the other hand:

A good OT is a gem - a bad one can be a real jobsworth, pointing out risks which do exist, but one just has to run with. I think the seatbelt idea is a good one, although do remember that moving on and off the the lift can be a real problem if deadweight.

On balance, my money would be on in bed and all out to make things easy and happy - but it's your call and I think you will get it right whatever!

Good luck.

toura

Feb 5, 2008
hertfordshire
there is a belt on chair it just goes round her stomach
wat i need is like a harness no room for bed down stair
mum has a double bed she falls out of a single one
mum is double incontince have to think about this
one wat a hard choice to make thank you for advice

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
It's do-able!

Hiya agian

My gran's home stairlift had a lap-seatbelt, but we've just moved her to a home and they have a 'parachute' type harness available.

I just googled harness and stairlift and it seems do-able, depending on the model and manufacturer of the stair-lift. Your OT should be able to find a supplier for you (I found acorn and dolphin had them from a quick google for example)

good luck

e

pebble

Apr 18, 2008
The Borders, Scotland
Dear toura
I am sorry to read about your problems. Stairs are so tricky and getting work done in the house difficult. You should try and not think that you are letting your Mum down if she is upstairs all the time. Maybe there is scope to make upstairs more of a living area - an easy chair or other seating in the bedroom and so on. My sister was terribly ill last year (different illness) and could no longer do the stairs. We discussed her moving downstairs into the sitting room with a screened over commode etc. In the end she chose to see out her time in her bedroom, with loo adjacent upstairs and latterly a commode within reach. We improvised the bedroom a bit to make it suit her needs, music close at hand, table over the bed, masses of pillows, which a kind visiting nurse showed us how to "build" criss cross for support. I was a difficult realisation process - shocking to see how it was going to unfold but we had to just make it as good as we could. Sis was in charge throughout though which made it easier (and harder). You are doing so well to have your mum at home - being in familiar surroundings on any level is a good result - a very good result. Thoughts are with you.

Last edited: