Mum and her money.

paris07

Jul 11, 2007
australia
Hello again folks,
Today is the day mum goes into respite for a week. I told her on Monday that hubby and I had to go to see our son who is not well (small fib) but she seemed to accept it a bit better.

My other worry now is , yesterday the carer that has been 2 times to stay with mum, and mum told me she did not like and refused to let her bath her, informs me , mum told her that she had $1000 dollars , behind a photo and that she plans to smuggle it into care home, carer must have seen it as she described the photo and what it was wrapped in.

I told her,I appreciate her telling me and thought it was very honest of her.
My concern now is how many more people has mum told and what to do about it.I can't take the money as she still knows what money looks like even though she sometimes cannot under stand the amounts. Mum has no money worries as she sold her house to come and live with hubby and me and has enough to see her comfortable all her life.

Oh boy ,the day to day, dramas of Paris
Many Thanks
Paris07

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I would talk to care home manger tell her that your mother has this money on her , if you don't want to talk ask your mother about this money

if she adornment that she going to take it with her with could you not talk to manger of care home , to tell your mother that she not allowed to have so much money with her .

are you worried about your mother reaction if you told her what the carer told you

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Paris, perhaps you could talk to your mum and tell her that the NH has rules about money, and she's only allowed to take $50 with her? You wouldn't need to tell her you know about the money.

failing that, all you can do is let the NH know. I don't imagine they would want that amount of money in a resident's room. Perhaps they could offer to put it in a safe for her, and give her a receipt?

But if your mum refuses to part with it, I don't know what you can do. What a problem!

Love,

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Paris

Flipping hec, your mum is doing what my mum does, in fact when we sorted out her home when she moved into the NH we found thousands hidden behind pictures.

To over come the problem, like your mum, mum knew she had money there, but not how much, so we removed the majority and put it in her bank for her, and left a small amount behind. The staff at the NH I know would have been really worried about the responsibility of mum having so much in her room, and I personally dont think its right to put them in that position.

Hope you manage to sort something out.

Love
Cate

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi

Yes, my mum did that as well, hid large amounts of money.

I stole it, when I could and put it into my parent's bank account. I subsituted smaller denomination notes, which looked like the same bundle, but wasn't worth as much, so less to lose or get stolen.

Alfjess

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Money? It is security.

When my father was in hospital waiting for brain surgery to drain fluid, the nurses found £200 under his matress, and that was in 1970, so it was a substantial amount of money.

My grandmother hid money in biscuit tins, my mother had 101 purses and notecases in different bags, all containing money, and my husband hides it anywhere he thinks I won`t go, so poor thing, he doesn`t have many places, and I know where they all are [I think].