Mum and Dads birthday

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
It would have been Mums birthday today ...83. I am going to the cemetary to lay a bouquet I made her, just making it made the tears fall as I the last time I did flowers for Mum she was alive. The sad fact is both Mum and Dad shared their birthdays, not only that they were born on the same date but also the same year so it is also Dads 83rd birthday too today. I am going to see Dad and take him a joint of ham I have cooked for him (yeah I know sounds silly, but Dad loves how I do the ham and it is one of his favourite meats) and also a tin of choc biscuits. The card I have chosen for him is sentimental with no mention of Happy in it, the front says to my special Dad on your birthday. My children spent the day with him yesterday, the only day my daughter could get off from work, little Molly really cheered him up no end and it sounds like he really did enjoy their visit. So today is going to be difficult for both of us, more so Dad, but I will be there for him no matter what.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Diane

I hope you and your father can find a peaceful place while you remember your mother`s birthday.
Love xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Diane

It sounds like you have mum and dad's birthdays organised so that you can celebrate them in just the way(s) that you would like:) 'Ham', well Diane that's a new one on me:D Wishing you a blessed time.

Love

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Dear Diane,

Hard for you, hard for your dad. I hope that together you can have a peaceful and loving day together.

Love and hugs

Vonny xxx

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
(((((Thank you)))))

Yeah ham :D thing is over the years it has got increasingly difficult to buy for Dad, Mum well was never a problem but Dad ... the things I have purchased and he has never used, so for a few years I have done them special hampers etc, which always went down really well. At Christmas I cooked a large joint of ham and Dad has never shut up about it lol, so I thought right well he can have a full joint to himself, I know he will slice it and freeze some, but at least he will enjoy it and it will encourage him to eat as he has lost so much weight.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Dianne:

Today will be full of memories and sadness but I hope you and your Dad can share good happy moments too.

I think the Ham idea is lovely - as we get older we are harder to buy for but it is special when someone puts extra effort into a present.

Love Jan

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
Well the tears flowed, both with me and Dad. Dad is a broken man, but I showed him how special he is to us and that as a family we are there for him. I spent quite some time with dad today and eventually the tears dried up and we tried as best as we could to have some quality time together.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You had a difficult time with your dad when your mother was ill Diane. I`m glad you`re still `together`.
Love xx

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Dear Diane,

You are so kind, looking after your dad and trying to cheer him up when your own heart is breaking too. I'm so glad you spent time together today.

Vonny xxx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Diane

I'm glad that after the tears you and your dad were able to spend some good time together - or certainly to make the best of what you could!

I can see how your post could be a really helpful inspiration to people who have run out of ideas as to what to get a loved one for a meaningful gift:) I know if I see someone posting and asking these kind of questions I will want to show them your post (that is if you don't mind)!?

In fact it is Alan's birthday next month and I have already been wondering what people could get him because there is nothing that he needs and now my thoughts are going in a much different direction;)

I hope you have a peaceful evening Diane.

Love

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
Thank you all of you for your loving thoughts xxxxx

Yes Helen that is fine by me. I know the ham sounds a little way off but he was so excited when he realized what it was. The hampers I used to do for both Mum and Dad were purchased over a few weeks so it was never a big outlay in one shop. I would buy stuff from M & S, and it would have finest teas, coffee, special biscuits, cheese biscuits, xmas pud, xmas cake, other cakes, jams, marmalades, honey, tinned meats, nice tinned fish, then along with that went a couple of dozen homemade mince pies. I would buy some artifical holly and red tissue paper, line a box and put a red bow on it. Not only did it help them save money but also gave them some nice food to look forward too. There are so many different types of hampers that could be made too, a ladies one with pratical smellies etc, same for the men, a hamper with stamps paper envelopes, assorted general birthday cards pens quiz books etc.,

mum of two

Oct 3, 2008
beccles
Hi dianie,
I hope that the day went well for both you & your dad, It wold have been my mum's 68 th Birthday today. She died on the 8 march this year. I just found it hard to get up . Children are good at making you out of it for a bit .

take care Mum of Two

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
Hi Mum of two, we both lost our Mums on the same day 8th March 2009, it still feels so unreal though. Not only that but your Mums birthday is only 2 days after my Mums. Sending you lots of hugs, and maybe we can help each other in the future if the day feels bleak xxx