Mum about to be assessed for permenant care - advise


Registered User
Jun 22, 2007
West Yorkshire
My Mum has been suffering from Alzheimers for a number of years. Got worse over the last 6 months or so and now does not recognise me most of the time which breaks my heart.

My Dad has finally reached the point where he can no longer look after her (hes recovering from Prostate cancer himself!) so we have decided to arrange to move Mum into a nursing home.

We are due to see an 'assesment board' to discuss costs etc which worries my Dad as hes not sure about what the cost would be money wise as hes not got much in the way of savings.

Hs anyone else had this kind of assesment for a relative so could maybee let me know what sort of thing we are in for.

We want the best care possible but can ill afford to put Mum into a nursing home.

I cant find any info on the web (maybee Im lookin in the wrong place) so can any one help???

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Hello Festa

You really need to wait for the meeting with the Assessment Board before you know about costs, but if your father has little in the way of savings, then SS should foot the bill.

Meanwhile, I found this web site for you which might give you some idea of what`s available in West Yorkshire.

When looking for a home for your mother, it is advisable to check the latest CSCI reports too.

I hope this will be of some help.

There are lso Alzheimers Society factsheets on choosing care homes.

Please let us know how you get on.

Love xx


Registered User
Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Festa

Just to add to Sylvia's sound advice. I would do some research into the NH you want mum to go to. You need to be 100% happy with it. I would enquire if they have a Social Services rate, and a Private rate.

Finally, agree to nothing, and sign nothing until you are 100% happy with the NH arrangements and financial arrangements.




Registered User
Jul 3, 2007
From my own experience I believe your Mum would have to have personal assets over about £22 000 in order to be self funding. As your Dad will still be living in their house this will not be classed as an asset. If your parents do not have a lot of savings I don't think your Dad has too much to woryy about.

Having said that he needs to be sure that the panel do not 'try it on'. Once they have met and come to a decision, if he is not happy he will have the chance to appeal.

I agree that he should hold off signing anything until he knows what they intend.

Liz x

dave b

Registered User
Nov 21, 2006
thanks cate,sorry to hijack festa's thread
but thanks for mentioning the ss rate & private rate,must ask the question
thanks for the kick up the a*s*
dave x
Last edited:

Margaret W

Registered User
Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
My advice would be to consult an Independent Financial Adviser. Help the Aged have a firm they are promoting, we have consulted them, you don't need to commit yourself to anything, but they were so helpful in telling us what our options were. I'm sure other IFAs would be too, but you want want who has the specialise certifiate in advising the elderly, not just any high street IFA.