Multiple facial fractures - what happens without surgery

Discussion in 'Middle - later stages of dementia' started by saucepan, Jul 26, 2016.

1. saucepan

saucepan Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    Hi
    My Dad had a serious fall last night, falling down 8 steps landing face first.
    He has multiple facial fractures, Le Fort 3. He is in intensive care, they managed to get a breathing tube into him without having to do a tracheotemy. His face is just one massive swelling, black and blue.

He is 83 with moderate to severe alzheimers. We wouldn't want him to go through serious sergury, which would involve metal plates being srewed in and jaw being wired together.

Has anyone experienced this who can give me any information and advice?
    Thank you

2. CeliaThePoet

CeliaThePoet Registered User

Dec 7, 2013
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    My goodness, how horrible! You must be beside yourself.

I would also want to resist surgery. Discuss your concerns honestly with all medical personnel. Could he be assessed for palliative care?

3. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Goodness, poor Dad! And poor you too, it must be so distressing to see your dad so badly hurt.

If fractures are not surgically stabilised they will heal gradually. The problem with facial injuries is that they cannot be immobilised in plaster like limb fractures can. It might be difficult to keep the fractures in a good position, especially if dad does not remember that he has a problem.

However, I absolutely understand your concern as anaesthetics are known to worsen dementia (sometimes things improve afterwards, sometimes they don't :( ). All you can do is talk things over frankly with the medics who are caring for your dad. Do you have LPA for his Health and Welfare?

4. BR_ANA

BR_ANA Registered User

Jun 27, 2012
    Brazil
    The question is will he be able to eat and breathe without fixing then with metals? Idk. If nothing is done In some weeks the pain is gone and bone healed (however not joined with other pieces). So his face may not be functional.

My mum had an collarbone broken (and not fixed because she removed plaster every time). And she had a femur broken ( fixed with metal, so she would have a better quality of life).

If you are afraid of anaesthesia, talk to the doctor who will perform it. (I've never noticed a permanent decrease on mum's due to it).

5. saucepan

saucepan Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    Thank you for your comments.

We have decided to stop all medical treatment, the doctor was in total agreement. so now just morphine and something to keep him calm, and now we are waiting for him to pass on, and for his suffering to be over.

The waiting is hard.
    Bless him.

6. CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    Saucepan, I am so sorry. I do feel you are doing the best ting for your Dad, as painful as this is. Hope you feel us holding your hand.

7. Onlyme

Onlyme Registered User

Apr 5, 2010
    UK
    Considering he has a Le Fort 3 which has to be fixed then you had very little choice. I believe you have made the right decision for him. I hope that he is pain free. Thinking of you.

8. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hello saucepan
    just to send you and your poor dad much sympathy
    I wish you both peace

9. Amy in the US

Amy in the US Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    Saucepan, I fear I have nothing to add, except to send you good wishes. Will be thinking of you, your father, and your family.

10. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

I am so sorry you are going through this :( I do hope that things are clam and gentle for your father on this last journey.

11. Red66

Red66 Registered User

Feb 29, 2016
    I am so sorry. I wish you and your family strength xx

12. saucepan

saucepan Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    Thank you all so much for your kind words.
    Dad died on sunday morning.
    He wasn't in any pain at the end and is in peace now.

13. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    #13 Shedrech, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    My condolences, saucepan
    so sad to lose your dad
    I hope it is a comfort to you that he was pain free
    may he rest in peace
    and may you find peace now

14. CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    Saucepan, so sorry for your loss. I hope you feel peace.

15. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    So Sorry for your loss. For it to happen this way, so suddenly, because of his accident must be hard for you. My heart goes out to you xxx

16. Georgina63

Georgina63 Registered User

Aug 11, 2014
    Sending wishes. So sorry. Gx

17. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Thinking of you, Saucepan. ((((Hugs)))))

18. Pickles53

Pickles53 Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Radcliffe on Trent
    Sending you my deepest sympathy and hoping you find comfort and peace.

19. nellbelles

nellbelles Volunteer Host

Nov 6, 2008
    leicester
    My sincere condolences, such a tragic accident, wishing you all the strength you will need at this time.

20. Red66

Red66 Registered User

Feb 29, 2016
    So sorry saucepan. At least your dad has found peace and I hope that you and your family stay strong during this horrific time. Xxx