Multi Sensory Therapy

Louise.D

Apr 13, 2007
Essex
Hi,

Mum is in the last stages of AD. She has difficulty swallowing and is on a liquid diet. Yesterday, we spent all day in A&E as she had a fall and a UTI.

Sometimes she seems very lucid, the majority of the time she is in a trance like state, eyes half open. She has lost 8kgs in the last 2 months and most of the time refuses, food, drink and medication.

Her care home is going to try Multi Sensory Therapy. Has anyone out there had any experience of this type of therapy helping their loved one? Although, I'm happy for mum to give it a go I'm a bit worried that it may frighten her. She does not have any challenging behaviour but is very agitated and often suffers from jerking limbs which I believe could be down to anxiety.

I don't want to deny her any type of therapy that may be beneficial but then again I've been told that this therapy is quite new.

Don't know what to think really. Does anyone have any opinion or ideas.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Louise

There's an article here http://apt.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/8/6/444 about it, if anyone wants to know what it's about.

I think I would be asking exactly who is going to do this therapy. It seems fairly benign, provided whoever doing it is able to recognise any signs of distress (some people find it over stimulating). If you're confident that whoever it is really knows what they are doing I would be inclined to give it a whirl: I know this is not uncommonly used in NH in the USA and it can have definite benefits for people with dementia. But they need to know when to stop, if you see what I mean.

Best wishes

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Louise

I've no personal experience of this, but some care homes now have multi-sensory rooms.

It's trying to calm the senses using light, smell, touch and sound. It's supposed to be very relaxing, and it could be worth trying. I'm sure that if it wasn't benefitting your mum, they wouldn't continue with it. She wouldn't be left alone in the room, and they'd take her out if she showed signs of fright or distress.

You can read about it here:

http://apt.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/8/6/444

It's your decision of course. If you go for it, please let us know how it works.

Love,

Jodie Lucas

Dec 3, 2005
Eastbourne
Hi there,

I worked in a dementia centre where we had multi-sensory equipment. Reactions seem to be dependent on the client, I found that some clients found it soothing whilst others didn't like it at all.

Jodie

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Louise.

I have used Multi Sensory Therapy with disturbed and agitated children and it has been very effective.

But your mother is not a disturbed and agitated child.

I would want to know who the Therapist would be and if s/he had the necessary training, and exactly what the therapy would consist of.

I would imagine few people wouldn`t be soothed by gentle touch, beautiful music and fragrances. The only doubt I would have, is about the moving multicoloured lighting that`s often used in Multi Sensory Rooms. Sorry, it does have a name, but I just can`t recall it at the moment.

Please let us know what happens, it`s interesting.

Love xx

Louise.D

Apr 13, 2007
Essex
Multi Sensory Equipment

Thanks for your responses. I've googled it and have found quite alot of information.

Mum is at the 'make or break' stage now. So she has nothing to loose. However, I'm going to insist that I'm there when she has her first therapy session. I know her better than anyone so I feel I'm best qualified to judge her. She has what I can starteled rabbit syndrome and does not like banging and crashing around.

The care home which is registered for dementia is running a training session. I'm going to see if I can get onto it (they encourage this) so I can learn a bit more about it.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It would be brilliant for you to train so you could help your mother. I do hope you get on the course.

I would be very surprised if bangs and crashes were used with dementia sufferers. They would be frightened to bits.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
If I was in your position I do the exactly the same and give it a go. It sounds like a good opportunity and I doubt they'd continue more than a few minutes if it had a negative effect.

As always it is useful if they can tell you exactly what will happen and how they will handle things if it doesn't work out.

We are having a sensory garden at dads home and I can't wait. Dad seems to respond to massage and aromatherapy and finds it very calming. I give him a shoulder or hand massage while we chat sometimes and it definitely relaxes him and takes away the aggitation. Also stops him roaming off every few minutes.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on
Kind Regards
Craig

Louise.D

Apr 13, 2007
Essex
Grannie G said:
I would be very surprised if bangs and crashes were used with dementia sufferers. They would be frightened to bits.

I don't think that they will intentionaly bang or crash around but mum will show signs of distress at the slightest noise. For example someone putting cutlery on the table or the scrape of a chair. She jumps and shakes alot and has that frightened rabbit look that AZ suffers have.

Today the home had a singing session I could tell by the look on her face that she found it a racket. The other ladies were having a ball, but then it's impossible to please everyone. She also finds eating a problem as she's so easily distracted. We have tried feeding her in quiet but she's even distracted by ceiling and if Jeremy Kyle is on there's no chance.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
The care home that Lionel is in has a "Sensory" room.

It is situated on the EMI unit. It seems to have a very calming effect, so sometimes you see people sitting in there with a carer or two.

Lingt, sound, touch. Don't know if Lionel has ever been in that room. When he was mobile he did not need it, now it would be far too much effort.

The two other care homes run by the same group have these rooms also.

(P.S. My grandchildren love it)