Mrsa

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
Just a short post to let you know that my Nan is currently in hospital with MRSA.

She has vascular dementia and has suffered with ulcers for the past few years which are dressed by district nurses and nursing auxilliaries. However, a couple of months ago she got a new wound on the back of her heel which would not clear, and is so obviously a sign of MRSA (now that I have looked all over the net) that I can't believe the nurses did not mention it. They eventually said they could do no more for her and had her admitted to hospital, where she tested positive for MRSA.

She has been on the antibiotics for about a week and a half and they've said today that they are awaiting results from a new swab of the wound to see if it's cleared. However, there's a funny rash on her foot which disappears up into her bandages which worries me (sign of septicaemia?), and we cannot get a straight answer from anyone.

The most upsetting thing about it is that she's so unbelievably agitated, as they've got her cooped up in an isolation room - which for most people would drive them crazy - with the door open (what a joke), and my Nan wandering in and out not understanding where she is, and constantly shouting for nurses and crying that she wants to go home.

It really is heartbreaking to see her in there and to leave her when we go. I think we all really want to know what the prognosis is, as we'd all prefer her to come home if this thing is going to get no better. It seems cruel to do this to her.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Hi Emma,

It's lovely to hear from you again, but I'm so sorry to hear about your Nan's problems.

I do hope this can be resolved in the form of a diagnosis of her health as soon as possible. Keep on pushing the doctor to give a speedy answer.

Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Dear Emma
request/insist/demand to see and speak to whoever is in charge of Nan's Medical care.
Then ask the questions,make a list of them.
Hope this helps
Norman

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Emma, Norms right, request a consultation and find out what is going on. Ask what their aims are and how they plan to achieve them etc. If the prognosis is the same whether she remains in hospital or you have her home, then if thats what you want to do, go for it, I did. Also make it clear you are not happy that your Nan is so upset. Love She. XX