MRI scans

Deeessex

Jul 16, 2007
Essex
Dear All
Just to ask if any of your loved ones have had MRI scans that don't show anything definate?
Denise

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Not personally, but I will tell you this. A friend who is a radiologist tells me that intrepreting any kind of scan is as much art as science. It's all down to the experience of the person looking at it. I realise this isn't the same but having in the space of 3 days been told I didn't have a broken ankle, I did have a broken ankle, I didn't have a broken ankle of the basis of one set of x-rays I can attest to that.

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
YES!

Was told John's scan didn't show any sign of alzheimers etc and it was fool proof. I insisted on a second opinion as I just didn't believe this. After a number of other tests including a gamma radiation scan he was confirmed as having alzheimers. Although I was expecting this it was still devastating news.
Jackie

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Yes we have been told that mum's scan doesn't show any major signs of deterioratation, however our second consultant said he is still sticking with this diagnosis of FTD.

As this is her one and only scan I wasn't sure how they could tell what deterioration had taken place as they didn't know what her brain was like in it's "normal" state.

Deeessex

Jul 16, 2007
Essex
I thought I was going mad but in my heart of hearts I know that the initial diagnosis of early onset dementia and treatment with aricept was correct although devastating. I find myself thinking is it me thats imagining things as my husband is in denial he has a problem. The MRI scan confused me although the consultant said it could be early stages . I also understand that Picks is not always picked up by MRI
Thanks Denise

VIB35

Oct 15, 2007
Herts
Hi, yes, my mother has had 2 scans, one 2.5 years ago that found there were 2 small black spots on her brain (causing the memory problems) and then last year we asked for her to have another one as she has deteriorated so quicky and they said there was no significant change from the previous one which I find SO hard to believe. But we have to trust the doctors, don't we? My mother has an appt with the neurologist next week so i await to hear what he says.....

cariad

Sep 29, 2007
Hi, my mam has just had an MRI and it is normal. However, the neurologist explained to me that the scan was done essentially to rule out other possible causes e.g stroke, tumour,lesions etc. The fact that the scan was 'normal' meant nothing to the DR who stands by his diagnosis of FTD. I have done a lot of research (on the net) of mri scans and basically sometimes scans appear normal even when the dementia is quite advanced.