MRI or CT scans to determine dementia

Discussion in 'Memory concerns and seeking a diagnosis' started by niculos, Sep 5, 2015.

1. niculos

niculos Registered User

Sep 5, 2015
    Can GPs submit patients for a brain scan to help determine early onset dementia, cognitive impairment or brain atrophy?

2. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Yes, our GP sent my wife for a MRI scan then after being refereed to a consultant she sent my wife for s SPECT scan, never had a CT scan though.
    K

3. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

In our area MRIs can only be requested by secondary care, not GPs. You will have to check what the system is in your area.

4. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Fair comments it may depend on where you live, some don't like disclosing.
    K

5. Countryboy

Countryboy Registered User

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Cornwall
    #5 Countryboy, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    I was sent for Brain scans by my Consultant the first in 2003 was PET scan short for Single-Photon-Emmission-Tomogaphy-Brain HMPAO and a second in 2004 a Brain-Cerebral-Perfussion both are a Nuclear Medicine scans I also had brain scan previously in 2000 and 2001 but they did show the dementia hence the PET brain scans Did confirm the condition