MRI Head

westwood37

Apr 3, 2007
Hello

On Thursday my Dad is having an MRI Head scan. Has anybody experienced this and is there anything I could do to prepare and relax him.

Annie

Carolann

Apr 19, 2006
Nottinghamshire
Hi,
I had an MRI Scan recently on my head, it was for an ear problem. To be quite honest it did not worry me too much but its not something any one who is claustrophobic would enjoy.
I will just give you my experience and then you can tell you Dad which bits you may think will be of any use. You are asked to take out any metal dentures and remove watches etc - you then lay on a bed/stretcher which they slide into the scanner. You have to lay very still, they actually put something each side of your head to keep you still, and the scanner operator can talks to you when you are in the scanner and you can reply. They play music to you ,but you can still hear the machine working, there are a few clangs and bangs.
It was not as bad as I thought it would be and I have read that if someone is really very frightened they can give them a sedative.
I hope I have'nt made it sound to frightening - will dad be able to understand if you explain to him?
Take care
Carolann

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Carolann

Annie's description is spot on, the only thing I would add is, the machine is huge, however the portion that they slide you into is quite small, so if you are a bit claustrophobic it would be pretty awful. I'm not, and I got a bit stressed out in there nevertheless.

Best of luck to dad.

Love
Cate xxxx

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
My wife had one many years back, I suppose it can be daunting if you are claustrophobic. You can take your own music. Cassette or cd I suppose now.
cris

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Jan had one at an early stage of her condition- I've had one as well in the past.

The tube is claustrophobic and she had to put a form of helmet on. The noise was loud and prolonged.

I sat beside the machine and held her hand throughout.

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
I had one some years ago for my back I'm claustrophobic and I found it frightening, had to have a few goes. They gave me a button to press when I wanted to come out. Being told if I didn't have the scan they'd have to operate that made me go in.
Result: surgeon said he needed to operate, it never happened I did my own thing. That's another story. Padraig

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Sylvia,Yes I've written a book in the past 18 months, snatching time when Jean sleeps. I've got to find a way of having it published, once that's underway I'd like to start on the next part.
The story to date, is from the time I was sentenced to be detained for 14 yrs for begging as a two year old and to be disposed of (not my words) on reaching 16.
Let lose into a strange and exciting world the story ends with me marrying Jean.

It's a story I felt compelled to write, but now my next one will deal with our life's journeys Far East, Europe, and Middle East. A large part will deal with our experiences in handling Alzheimer's, 'The Power of Love'.
Padraig

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Padraig, your story sounds very interesting. What expeiences you have had. I do hope you find a publisher. Put me down for a signed copy.

Love,