Moving to Leamington Spa from Cornwall

NigelW

Dec 29, 2020
My wife (81yo) was diagnosed with Alzheimers last July (2020) and we have been looking move to be closer to family. We are now in a position to move and have had an offer on a house accepted in leamington Spa but still have to sell our cottage in Cornwall. We all know that moving is one of the most stressful times of our life so:-
1. Has anyone who has moved house with a partner who suffers from Alzheimers, any advice as to how to minimise stress on them?
2. To what extent can one reduce the amount of confusion for a person suffering from Alzheimers when moving into a new house
3.Has anyone experience of moving from one area to another area of the UK and been able to maintain levels of support from the new area.
4. What are services to support Alzheimers patients in Leamington Spa, Warwick, Warwickshire and how good are they?
I look forward to your help.
Thanks
Nigel

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @NigelW
a warm welcome to posting on DTP

this may be of help

I think when moving, get as much help as you can so you do as little as possible as you need to focus on your wife .... it may be worth looking into a respite stay in your new location so that your wife is looked after while you move
I'd get the new house as sorted out as possible before taking your wife in ... and have things in as similar situations as you can so it may feel familiar and homely ... take her in with little fuss, no showing round etc just behave as though it's any other day, with a treat ready to make her feel this is a good place to be