Moving to extra care housing, any tips or suggestions to make it easier.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
We are officially moving in two weeks time to extra care housing, about a mile away. It will be good in the log run, hopefully.

Has anyone else moved a partner or relative with Dementia ? Any advice on ways to make it as smooth as possible would be appreciated. We don't need to leave the current house for another week or two after, so hopefully have time to delay doctor change over and get 4 weeks dosette boxes.

Thanks.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Are you having to downsize Rob? Does Christel go to daycare at all? Probably not the best time to start if she doesn't but it would give you a chance to get on and minimise the disruption for her. I don't know about suggestions, but I think you need lots of lists!! If you have any friends or outside help you could call on then don't be shy! It was horrendous when we moved from a four bedroomed house to a 2 bed bungalow and looking back I don't know why I didn't ask for help. Hope all goes well.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Daycare would be helpful, but not in place at the moment. The place we are moving to has a communal lounge which may be a good place for Christel to hide while we are moving some stuff in. Thanks for the idea, Es.
Was going to put off lists until we sign the lease, but have started and having spoken to chiropodist have also realised how much advance packing will be needed. Just writing it and talking to people helps. All the best to you and Nick.

Cherryade

Jul 27, 2015
I would think one of the best things would be to minimise the disruption. So I would recommend getting a firm in to do the moving. They will have your whole house packed up and moved in a few hours rather than you spending the next few weeks packing and tripping over boxes (whih I think could be very unsettling to your partner). If you do get a firm in, spend the next 2 weeks throwing stuff out - recycle where possible, otherwise trips to the tip. The less you have to move, the easier it will be.
As for your partner, I would try and either get a friend to take her out for the day, even if it is just to their house, or arrange a day care type thing so that you can get on and going. Once you get to the new house, it will not take long if you have a firm in to help, to arrange the furniture and make the bed. Keep the kitchen necessities in one box - kettle, mugs, sugar, tea, biscuits - make sure it is last packed and first unpacked. Collect your partner and have a take away for your tea.
The rest of the stuff you need to do is just the usual - change of address letters, post office redirection of mail etc etc

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum is in extra care - so can't help on the move bit - as I did it all wrong - but circumstances etc!

Have you had the care visits agreed and arranged? Make sure you know what is happening with this. In my mum's extracare, there are carers, seniors, and a manager (who is on site 4 days a week - office hours). She helps out when needed - so she did extra visits to my mum when she started to help her settle - you may not need this but find out how this system works and get on side with the manager - is you need things changed she will be the one you need to help you.

Also she arranged to add in a 'domiciliary' visit to clean, this is much cheaper than via the care package but the same carers, and I think is £14 for an hour (North West so much cheaper than South West I guess). I didn't know i could arrange this outside of care package -so ask.

The activities are organised by the housing manager (separate from the care team - provided by the Housing Association). Not that much in my mum's but a monthly calendar is issued - work out where you will meet the other residents quickest and go at least once a week in the first week. You want to get to know the others - you then can work out which ones to ignore and which ones to like and who the busy bodies to avoid are. Don't think my mum follows much of what is going on but she enjoys turning up and watching I am told.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
The Care Manager was here asking questions on care package, she was making no immediate promises on times, etc. We will definitely confirm all that before signing anything, but they are aware of what is currently provided, so hopefully should work out. I'm hoping C will sit in the lounge when activities are on, just so I know she is ok, but that may be easier said than done.
Thanks for the tips JM

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Even if times aren't perfect, but they will work for you, go for it, and then you will get better times if slots free up, as residents move into care homes I guess. My mum only has 2 15 min meds calls each day - they do stay for 15 mins and offer to do other stuff - and just chat. no travelling time in a block of flats :)

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
The two are more or less the same size, we did all the recycling last time. What few friends we have are working that day, that's another story. Luckily we do have an extra few days to sort out the small stuff, but will get a quote for moving professionally just to reduce stress. Thanks Cherryade.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Rob - my mum is self funding so that is why having cleaning done outside of care plan is cheaper - if Christl is SS funded try and get everything you need on care plan - I'm assuming as it is the 2 of you, you can manage the cleaning for now, but if you can't because Christl won't give you a chance etc - try and get it on the care plan.

Physically my mum could still clean but she isn't inclined to :rolleyes: but she wasn't inclined to my whole childhood either :eek:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks again JM, another one to add to the list I will check on Monday before we sign anything. Chiropodist says her brother stays in sheltered housing and they won't allow him to hang pictures on the wall, so that's on the list.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
the pics on the wall bit is the same as any rented property I guess

my mum's flat is shared ownership - but some are rented and some are owned outright - I think she is meant to return it to state it was in when she got it, but there were fitted wardrobes left behind which she has used

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skituscany