Moving to a nursing home

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
Mum is being discharged from hospital and being moved to a care home. They are putting her in one that they use until we can find one nearer to home.
I did not see the care team at the hospital, my sisters spoke with them. I have a questions.

Presumably the direct payment will cease immediately on discharge
Attendance Allowance will stop after the 30 day time limit
Pension Credit will also be heavily reduced

As Mum only has £13k of savings, do the Council pay for most of it and Mum will just have to top it up?
The care team worker at hospital said we could choose a nursing home, nearer to home. Can it be anyone? I thought that they had to be certain ones?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @stockport1965
if your mum's assets are below £14250 then the LA will be funding but taking her pension and leaving her with about £25 a week for personal expenses, as I understand it
here's a link to the main AS site's pages on Paying for care
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/who-pays-care

your mum can't pay a top-up, that has to come voluntarily from a third party, to protect what savings she has below the £14250

an assessment of her finances should be carried out so the LA should let you know exactly how the finances stand and what is required from your mum's funds

I'm a bit surprised that the care team worker has said that you can choose any home - when the LA take on the funding they are obliged to offer one placement at least, which may not be exactly what the family would choose themselves (that's when the top-up may come in) - maybe check that, and don't feel under pressure to pay a top-up as it will only increase over time

if your mum has major health needs, ask for a CHC assessment, though this is applicable to nursing care so she would have to be moving to a nursing home (not simply a residential care home)

this is my understanding - you may want to have a chat with one of the advisors on the Helpline to check with them about your particular circumstances
0300 222 11 22

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
Thanks.... the hospital have now said that it has to be a nursing home. Awaiting someone to get in touch with me regarding a financial assessment