Moving on - very slowly one step at a time...

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Good Evening

Haven't posted on here for ages. A few "old timers" on here may remember that I cared for my lovely Dad John who had Altzeimer's for over 16 years. Sadly we lost Dad in October last year and 8 months on I still miss him so much.

Mum and I continue to prop each other up and "one step at a time" - we are are slowly adjusting to a very different sort of life without Dad. We will always miss him - he was such a big part of our lives and (although I may be slightly biased) such a lovely man.

Just wanted to let my "virtual friends" on here know that I today started work (part-time) as Dementia Support Worker for the local Alzheimer's Society. I think I'm really going to enjoy the role and hope I can use my experience of caring for Dad, working with a great team to "help to make a difference".

Best Wishes to you all

Love

Gill x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I wish you well in you new career.Having an inside knowledge should b a great help.

Am sorry to hear about your dad. you are entitled to be biased:)

PostTenebrasLux

Mar 16, 2010
London & Oxford
We haven't met Gill
but what wonderful news that you are able to continue offering care and support, now through part-time work thanks to the (undoubtedly unwanted) experience you have been given through your father. I am sure he would be proud of you and in some measure would appreciate that you have put to good use what you have learned for a remarkably beyond average time.
Best wishes for the new job and times ahead.
Martina

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
congratulations in your new job Gill and I wish you every success and happiness in your role.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well done Gill for making a positive from a negative. The AS will be lucky to have you. xx

NewKid

Mar 26, 2009
Warwickshire
Hi there, we haven't 'met' before , but I sympathise with you in the loss of your dad - who of course is indeed the lovely man you say. We have only one Dad and they must be regarded as forever special. Your new role sounds ideal, and I can understand how you would be influenced by your experience with you Dad. Good luck to you, good work!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
As Sylvia says - they will be lucky to have you.

Incidentally - you can come and moan to Sylvia and I about the elearning system :)D).

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
Gill - Congratulations on your new career.

I truly admire people who want to put their experience to good use by offering others the help that's so desperately needed. My AS support worker has been a lifeline to me.

Thanks on behalf of sufferers and carers, and GOOD LUCK

Love - Kathy