Moving on - very slowly one step at a time...

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by gill@anchorage5, Jul 6, 2010.

1. gill@anchorage5

gill@anchorage5 Registered User

Apr 29, 2007
    Southampton
    Good Evening

Haven't posted on here for ages. A few "old timers" on here may remember that I cared for my lovely Dad John who had Altzeimer's for over 16 years. Sadly we lost Dad in October last year and 8 months on I still miss him so much.

Mum and I continue to prop each other up and "one step at a time" - we are are slowly adjusting to a very different sort of life without Dad. We will always miss him - he was such a big part of our lives and (although I may be slightly biased) such a lovely man.

Just wanted to let my "virtual friends" on here know that I today started work (part-time) as Dementia Support Worker for the local Alzheimer's Society. I think I'm really going to enjoy the role and hope I can use my experience of caring for Dad, working with a great team to "help to make a difference".

Best Wishes to you all

Love

Gill x

2. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    I wish you well in you new career.Having an inside knowledge should b a great help.

Am sorry to hear about your dad. you are entitled to be biased:)

3. PostTenebrasLux

PostTenebrasLux Registered User

Mar 16, 2010
    London & Oxford
    We haven't met Gill
    but what wonderful news that you are able to continue offering care and support, now through part-time work thanks to the (undoubtedly unwanted) experience you have been given through your father. I am sure he would be proud of you and in some measure would appreciate that you have put to good use what you have learned for a remarkably beyond average time.
    Best wishes for the new job and times ahead.
    Martina

4. Helen33

Helen33 Registered User

Jul 20, 2008
    congratulations in your new job Gill and I wish you every success and happiness in your role.

Love

5. elaine n

elaine n Registered User

Jun 1, 2010
    west country uk
    good for you gill! hope all goes well for you xxxxx

6. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Well done Gill for making a positive from a negative. The AS will be lucky to have you. xx

7. NewKid

NewKid Registered User

Mar 26, 2009
    Warwickshire
    Hi there, we haven't 'met' before , but I sympathise with you in the loss of your dad - who of course is indeed the lovely man you say. We have only one Dad and they must be regarded as forever special. Your new role sounds ideal, and I can understand how you would be influenced by your experience with you Dad. Good luck to you, good work!

8. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    As Sylvia says - they will be lucky to have you.

Incidentally - you can come and moan to Sylvia and I about the elearning system :)D).

9. muse

muse Registered User

May 27, 2008
    Cambridge
    Gill - Congratulations on your new career.

I truly admire people who want to put their experience to good use by offering others the help that's so desperately needed. My AS support worker has been a lifeline to me.

Thanks on behalf of sufferers and carers, and GOOD LUCK

Love - Kathy

10. Margaret W

Margaret W Registered User

Apr 28, 2007
    North Derbyshire
    What great news, and how useful you will be. You have spurred me on to consider something similar myself.

Love

Margaret