Moving on up ... nothing gonna stop me ..

Discussion in 'After dementia — dealing with loss' started by Sam Luvit, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Sam Luvit

Sam Luvit Registered User

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Thank you @Sarasa and @Slugsta ... the training is a third done :D The dreaded “introduce yourself” was yesterday. He added a surprise element ...”what is dignity?” :rolleyes: Interesting answers :eek:

2. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Pooch survived day one @jugglingmum ... but not happy. Think he’s guessed I’m out again today, he’s pinned me down while I’m guzzling coffee :rolleyes:

3. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    When I’m in a situation where I don’t know anyone, I’m quiet. I listen, but say little. Put me in a training group, I’m definately in the back row :eek:

However, I get frustrated if no one answers any questions and then I have to get involved ... cue the training this week :rolleyes:

Fourteen people in for training. The trainer is good. He tells stories, has a laugh and makes Elf and Safety a grade above total boredom

Lots of question sessions. Lots of multiple choice questions. Unfortunately no one is saying much. Very few answers coming through ... so I offer a few answers myself :eek: By this morning I’m heard to say “ please will someone else say something ... I’m starting to feel like a gobby moo” :p

There were several of the multiple choice questions where we couldn’t agree on the answer, but then there was the one where everyone said “C” ... but I said “A”

Trainer: Are you sure you want to say A
    Me: Yes :oops:
    Trainer: So thirteen people say C, are you sure you want A?
    Me: Yes
    Trainer: Why? Why do you think you are right when thirteen people agree you are wrong?
    Me: Blah, blah, blah ... my reasons (dying inside)
    Trainer: Thirteen people said C .... but you say A ...
    (ever wanted to agree with the majority just to get out the limelight ... but I thought I was right)
    Trainer: .....and you are right

:D:D:D

Yesterday driving in was a bit fraught, loads of traffic, an accident and road works ... I made it was one minute to spare. So today I left very early, thinking I’d rather have half an hour there, drink a coffee or two and be relaxed

So I’m the first to arrive. As I sign in, I get told the manager wants to see me :eek: Oh dear. I’m in the headmistress office on day two :confused: What did I do? ;)

Massive confidence boost. They want me to start shadowing as soon as my training is finished :D As far as I can tell ... I’m the only one who has been asked to do that :eek:

4. Toony Oony

Toony Oony Registered User

Jun 21, 2016
    So pleased for you that all is going well. How does it feel to be the star trainee??? Truth is you couldn't do what you did, get that experience (however tough it was for you) and not end up with a better grasp of situations than most of your colleagues there.
    I just know that when you are flying solo (bet that won't be too long either) your clients will love you. Mum always preferred the carers that had a laugh with her and were not too reverent rather than the sucky ones who were all fluffy and prissy.
    Hope all goes well - be thinking of you.

X

5. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Well done Sam! You are clearly using your experience to good advantage. I know you are going to be fantastic carer :)

6. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Hello @Toony Oony :)

I’m sooooo glad the training is finished. I firmly clamped my lips together for most of today :p I was a little :rolleyes: disappointed that the “dementia awareness” was less detailed than ... medication side effects or infection control or even food hygiene :( They did say to look after the “live in / main Carer” .. but not a mention of Carer breakdown, just to be aware that they might be frustrated with the life they’ve found themselves living o_O

:D Somehow can’t see me being fluffy n prissy, can you ?:p:p

Looks like I’m shadowing this weekend and then she will get me a rota out for next week :eek: No pressure then :confused: No mention of waiting till I’ve done a day at least before getting me rota’d for solo :rolleyes:, just a casual mention that I’m “live” as of today. That was lunchtime. Not even finished the training :eek:

It looks like I’m shadowing with one of the carers I know, she’s really nice, so hope it’s her

Fingers crossed :)

7. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Thank you @Slugsta

I just felt I needed to try it and see if I can. Won’t know until I walk in the first house with running D&V :eek:

I was a teeny bit surprised when one of the trainees asked what D&V was :rolleyes: Ooooh, she’s in for a shock :eek:

8. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Isn't she just!

9. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    :D:D:D

10. Marnie63

Marnie63 Registered User

Dec 26, 2015
    Hampshire
    Just caught up on this thread Sam and read about your new job. Congratulations! It would be interesting to know what that question was where you went against 13 and got it right!

Hope all goes well on your first day. You're a stronger woman than me - even with all the stuff I did for mum, I still know that I could not do it again for someone else. Been looking for part time admin jobs, but don't even get replies, but not giving up just yet!

Best wishes.

11. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    #71 Sam Luvit, Jul 11, 2019 at 7:41 PM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 1:12 AM
    Hi @Marnie63

Thank you :oops: Training done. I’ve picked up uniform and “supplies” (gloves, aprons etc), I’ve even got my shadowing rota and been told I’ll get my “live” rota emailed this week :eek: Not being encouraged to do more than the minimum fifteen hours shadowing am I :eek:???

There were two questions where I was in a minority ...

12:2 I was relieved one other person agreed with me

Someone has hyperthermia, what do you do?
    A. Offer warm drink, then cover with blankets
    B. Cover with blankets, rub their hands and feet
    B. Rub hands and feet, then offer warm drink

13:1 The one hold out :rolleyes:

Casualty not breathing, you are alone
    A. Tilt head back, no sign of life, give five rescue breaths. Thirty chest compressions and two rescue breaths. Continue for one minute. Go for help
    B. Tilt head back, pinch nostrils closed, give five breaths. If still not breathing, commence ten chest compressions and five breaths. Continue until help arrives
    C. Tilt head back, pinch nostrils closed, give two breaths. Look for signs of life, if none, commence thirty chest compressions. Continue until help arrives

Any suggestions :eek:

12:2
    A. Hyperthermia is about core temperature. A warm drink will help raise it. It’s the first thing you need to focus on

13:1
    A. You are alone. No one is coming. The other two say keep going till help arrives.

12. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Hi @Marnie63

I start on Sunday :eek: They originally said 07.00 :eek::eek::eek: I’ve corrected that :D:p Manager thanked me for being honest (I said I’d be sleep walking)

I don’t know about being strong, but I know that the last five weeks, some of the carers were life lines. I almost cried with some as they were so sweet to me. It made me wonder whether or not I could do that for someone else :rolleyes:

Just a suggestion ... yes I know .... Sam and her blooming suggestions :p .... but ....I know several people who have volunteered for a day a week .... either been taken on there paid, or got a job off the back of it elsewhere

13. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Well. That’s my first five hours shadowing done. :)

Pretty much as I expected, it’s much, much easier than looking after someone you can’t get away from. So far no one knows which of my buttons to press :rolleyes:, so I’m not feeling hurt, like I often felt with mum

I’ve only watched today, although I did a bit of washing up and buttered some bread :eek:

Somehow I don't think I’ll be struggling to get to sleep tonight :D

14. CeliaW

CeliaW Registered User

Jan 29, 2009
    Hampshire
    Well done Sam. Hope it continues to go well x

15. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Thank you @CeliaW :) I hope you are doing ok ;)

16. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Glad that today went well Sam, how much shadowing are you doing before they let you loose on clients?

17. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Hmmmm ... they said 15 hours & then I say I’m ready .. or not

Reality ... 15 hours & I'm already on the rota for solo working :rolleyes:

18. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    Well done and glad you feel you can walk away from it all and sleep easy.

19. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    I’m sure that as I get regular clients and get to know them, relationships will form, I will have the inevitable sadness, but .... while I care for them, I can feel like I’m making things better for them

So far, I think it’s ok @jugglingmum ... ask me again in a month :rolleyes:

20. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Ugggg. Please don’t make me have to be up and running around at this time again. It’s so not doing me any good. :rolleyes:

After four years of mum not going to bed till after midnight, meaning I rarely went to bed before two in the morning, I’m still struggling to get to sleep any earlier. So a seven O’clock alarm is :eek: