Moving on up ... nothing gonna stop me ..

Discussion in 'After dementia — dealing with loss' started by Sam Luvit, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Sam Luvit

Sam Luvit Registered User

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    I know I shouldn’t, but I did giggle a teeny bit @Toony Oony .. I can imagine my mum doing that

2. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Congratulations on your new job, @Sam Luvit ! Delighted for you. x

3. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

At least your time off will be your own Sam, no having to worry about mum before you take Pooch for a walk or go shopping etc.

4. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Thank you @LadyA :) I’m a little bit pleased with myself :D

5. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Yes @Slugsta my free time will be mine. I think it will be a massive difference. Not sure how Pooch is going to cope with me going out for a few hours ..., he’s so stressy whenever I go out and I don't go for long or often :rolleyes:

6. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Oh yeah ... oh yeah ... oh yeah ... I’m busting with good feelings :)

My DBS has come back (in a matter of days :eek:) ... all clean :D

My first referee has sent in a reference, they are waiting on my second (I’ve just chased them up)

As my training isn’t for another two weeks ... they might send me out shadowing before that :eek: ... I think that’s good o_O

Now I just need the house sale to proceed and I can really start to get moving :p

7. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Sam, it looks as if things are finally going your way - it is high time!

8. witts1973

witts1973 Registered User

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Leamington Spa
    Good luck,I look after my mum but she has 4 double visits each day from carers and we love it when they walk through the door,we always have a good laugh and the carers enjoy their jobs because they like people,I'm sure you will take it in your stride after looking after your own mother,it certainly is a a job that will be very rewarding helping people and you might find somebody nice like me that provides cakes and ice creams as I enjoy the company,I wish they could stop for the day haha

9. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    It feels like I’m taking back a bit of control @Slugsta. I’ve applied for a job, but only agreed to do very part time hours. I’ve also given my “buyer” a deadline (it’s been under offer for a few months, with no movement on her side), I’m planning on another massive clear out & then more photos etc to get it back out there

I’m feeling more positive :D

10. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Hi @witts1973

Nice to “meet” you :D I’m a little nervous, but I think it will be ok. I’m pretty practical and I like helping, it seems a waste to throw away all I’ve learnt about the system and go back to office work. Maybe I can make a difference to someone... who knows. If you add your location to your profile, I’ll see if I might be knocking on your door :eek:

I’m still in contact with a couple of mums carers, I may even work with them at some stage. Isn’t life strange :rolleyes:

11. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    I had to drive across town last night, so I invited myself for coffee with my brother :) As it turned out, my nephew was home as well :D I was only going to stay half an hour, but as sometimes happens with an impromptu visit, we got chatting. Four hours later I left, I’d had such a blast I hugged my nephew and thanked him for such a lovely evening.

Today I helped my brother clearing around a lake, as you do ;) I thought it was going to be a case of driving him there, a little grass cutting and then lazing in the sun while he (and others who never turned up), cleared the weeds

About six hours later, I collapsed by the car, soaked by the burning sunshine (no I’m not complaining), aching all over and admitted defeat.

Pooch had come along for the ride and he loved it. He sheltered under the car, snoozed under the umbrella, drank and ate all day long and got to search in the long grass for “smells”. Bless him, the grass was probably twice his height :D

Tomorrow I’m taking a rest day. Naturally the forecast changed this afternoon and we are expecting rain rather than sunshine, but I’m definately not planning anything exciting :rolleyes:

This could be my last full weekend off. Training starts on Monday and the agency called this morning to confirm I’m still going and to let me know they will have me working as soon as the training finishes :eek:

12. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

I'm glad that you had a good time with your bro and nephew Sam. It sounds as if Pooch had a very good day too :)

13. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Yes, it’s been a really good 48 hours @Slugsta

Pooch is still recovering from his exhausting day :rolleyes:, he climbed back into his bed after our morning stroll and has barely moved :D

14. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Poor Pooch, this has clearly been a shock to his system :D

15. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Yeah, poor Pooch. He got to run around in grass taller than him and roll about flattening it :p

He’s going to be so miffed with me tomorrow ... I’m out all day training :eek: Considering the fact that I’ve left him in the lounge to walk into the kitchen and he’s run after me to check I’m still here .... he’s not going to be happy at all :rolleyes:

Do you think he will forgive me @Slugsta?????

I don’t think he is understanding of my need for cash to buy him food :(

16. Sarasa

Sarasa Registered User

Apr 13, 2018
    Hope the trading goes well today. Exciting times.

17. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Seconded (although I hope the training goes well :D ).

18. Sarasa

Sarasa Registered User

Apr 13, 2018
    Oops of course I meant training. The perils of posting using a phone while on th move!

19. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

No problem, I make enough typos for all of us!

20. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    Sam - I hope your training has gone well and that pooch survives on his own.

Now our dog is elderly she struggles when left on her own, so first day after school holidays her bladder doesn't hold, but second day is ok.