Moving mum

Moorcroft

Nov 4, 2015
Mum, 90, diagnosed with mild Alzheimers, moved to a bungalow near me last week. And she is doing fine! There have been some odd moments, such as looking for her mother's jewellery, that was stolen in a burglary thirty years ago, or forgetting how to put the phone back in its cradle. But apart from that, she has shown us that she is still able to learn new things, and she has settled in well.

Social Services said they won't assess for twenty days, so I set about organising our own 'care plan'. Mum is going to go to something called 'FiloCare' once a week, which is a small scale day-care that sounds lovely. I've also hired a young self-employed care worker, who will do most of the housework, and another more middle aged carer from a non profit organisation, who will spend a morning with mum on a more befriending basis. All of that is well within our budget.

One major problem, which is my health. I'm having difficulties with my movement, very reminiscent of my father when he was developing Parkinson's. I've discussed a referral to a neurologist with my GP, but I decided to try some private physiotherapy first. Then mum observed me lurching across the room and said 'Are you feeling well Phil?' (that was my father's name). I'm seeing the doc again this week, and I'll definitely go for that neurology referral. Trouble is Plan A depends on me being fit enough to look after Mum, and there is no Plan B.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hello, Moorcroft, I remember some of your other posts. I am glad the move went well and that your mum is settling in. Good to hear you are working on your care plan for your mother and that you already have some help in place, like the cleaner.

I am very sorry to hear that you are concerned for your own health and think it's a good idea to go see the neurologist sooner rather than later. I know it's very easy to say and very difficult to do, but please try not to worry (overmuch) in advance of the facts. Should you find yourself in a situation where you cannot care for your mother as you had planned, then you will make a new plan. I'm sure you know that with dementia, care plans need frequent revisiting anyway. And of course there is always the possibility of you being unable to care in the short term, for dental surgery or a broken ankle or the flu or something like that. Respite care can be needed for lots of reasons, and can be provided in a facility or with carers to come to the home

Please do look after yourself. Stress isn't going to make anything better! Best wishes to you and your mum.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Hi there, so pleased you have managed to do all this and that your mum is coping.
Sounds as though you have sorted out some fantastic care which hopefully you can up a level if you are not too good. I agree a referral would be good but I would just like to add that the last months have been so incredibly stressful for you and stress does awful things to us so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that this is a temporary setback.
Take good care of yourself and please keep us updated xx

Moorcroft

Nov 4, 2015
Thanks for the comments. Looking at my post, I think I was being a bit over the top. I am worried that I might have Parkinson's like my dad, but my GP doesn't agree, although she has offered to make the referral. There are other explanations for my movement problems. I broke my foot 19 months ago, and it didn't heal well. I've had problems with my movement ever since. I have an appointment with a physio this week. I think the fact I'm stressed is making my lameness more difficult to deal with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamieF7