Moving mum into a care home

Raindancer11

Apr 6, 2018
Hi everyone
Sadly my 85 year old mum now needs to be moved into a care home as she is no longer safe in her own home. I have found a nice home where I feel she will be well cared for and happy. She will be self funding as it is our choice to move her - she currently has a carer in three times a day, partly funded by the local council as her money has dwindled. However the home are insisting that she has a covid test before she can move in - the problem is that we cannot get her a test as she has not come into contact with a person who has covid or been exposed to anyone who has. We cannot book a private test as they have a 72 hours turnaround and the home require 48 hours result before moving in. Has anyone else had experience of this who can guide us? She has literally been in isolation since the first lockdown with only her carer, myself and my husband entering the house.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi @raindancer , I too have been told my mum needs to go in within 3 days of a negative Covid test , I wouldn’t have a clue where to get one but home said I could order one online . Could you ask her Gp ?

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi @raindancer,
I actually thought the home would test, they often isolate new residents at the home, which isn't great, so am not sure but test could alleviate this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raindancer11

Apr 6, 2018
Hi @raindancer , I too have been told my mum needs to go in within 3 days of a negative Covid test , I wouldn’t have a clue where to get one but home said I could order one online . Could you ask her Gp ?
Thank you so much for your reply - the general answer is that I have to get a test or pay privately to get one done ( I have been quoted £250 to have someone go the house to do it!). we have found a place at a dementia home for her. Good Luck to you and your mum - I hope you get things sorted ( if you haven't already).

Raindancer11

Apr 6, 2018
Hi @raindancer ,
I actually thought the home would test, they often isolate new residents at the home, which isn't great, so am not sure but test could alleviate this?
Thank you so much for your reply! We have found a perfect home for her, yes they would have tested her but it is a three hour round trip to do that. We are moving her closer to us, so that we can see her more often. We will try and get her tested closer to her own home.

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
I went through this recently with my Mum. The council arranged someone to come to the house, and so had the required 48 hours notice period. Is might be worth calling the local council and explaining the situation to see if they can arrange for you. This was done for me by social services. Im not sure if it will be the same in your area as my Mum lives in wales so not sure if there are different rules where you are based. I have arranged swab tests through my work for people (entirely unrelated sector!) and they are available in London at private clinics 24 hours later. Not sure if any of this helps but someone should be able to help you I am sure! Best of luck with it

Raindancer11

Apr 6, 2018
Thank you, Frank. We were finally able to get her tested this morning, which went remarkably smoothly! Just waiting on the results now. I hope all is well with your mum.