Moving mum from Northern Ireland to England

Labs are Best

Jul 20, 2022
Hi Everyone

First time on the Forum! Grateful for any help.

I wondering if anyone has advice on how to move my mother, who has dementia (Alzheimers) from Northern Ireland to England, both emotionally and logistically.

My mother has been in hospital for the last 2 months and is in denial over the fact that she has dementia. The medics and myself have concluded that she can not go back home given safety concerns, despite the fact that my mother says she will only go home and not into care and will not move to England. I am looking to move her nearer our family in England for her best interests. She has no friends or family in Northern Ireland. I'm unsure as to how to deal with my mum and the potential move given my persuasion tactic is not working. I'm also not receiving much information or help at present from the hospital and her care worker and therefore wondering what I can do to expedite her move and also how to accomplish that logistically...

Also, I am wondering if anyone knows whether I need to apply for controllership in Northern Ireland as well as Deputyship through Court of Protection in England - keen to avoid 2 legal processes if I can (given I have no PoA).

Many thanks in advance!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Labs are Best

Sorry to read that your mother is in hospital

Your situation is a complicated one ... you may find it helpful to talk with someone in real time ... have a chat with one of the advisors on the Support Line, they are knowledgeable and have a lot of useful contacts