1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. creativesarah

creativesarah Registered User

We have decided our house is too big and too expensive to heat and the garden is 1.3 acres so we are downsizing!
    So we are moving from a small rural village to a suburb of Northampton which has beautiful places to walk and has a library, a large Tesco's frequent buses and a Gym!

The house and garden are smaller but beautiful and should hopefully be warmer.

I am dreading sorting out my stuff I have lived here in our present house for over 30 years. I am a horder so it will be interesting. Another chance to get to grips with my untidy bedroom.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The plan is to declutter and then pack.

I am feeling nervous but excited and optimistic too.

2. Barry

Barry Registered User

Oct 14, 2006
    Indonesia
    I hope all goes well for you Sarah, although I’m sure you will love it in Northampton as that’s close to where I used to live in Royston Hertfordshire, it’s a lovely part of the country.

I hope and pray that al the packing and moving doesn’t cause you to much confusion!! ;);)

3. Emac

Emac Registered User

Mar 2, 2013
    moving

Oh that is lovely! it's good to have something to look forward to. Just get help with all the packing and don't forget to label the boxes!:D

4. 1mindy

1mindy Registered User

Jul 21, 2015
    Female
    Shropshire
    We have exchanged on our farm today . Moving into a local village. Oh says he is looking forward to it. So am I think. Last cows to go next week. Mixed feelings really but had to be done.

5. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I wish you well Sarah, both with the move and the sorting in order to downsize. Sarah, you may have to learn to be ruthless. :eek:

6. theoh

theoh Registered User

Nov 11, 2015
    Hi sarah

the dreaded decluttering/ downsizing! Pinterest have some great pointers on this and doing thing bite size otherwise it can be overwhelming. The other problem is my OH "rescuing things" from the to go pile!

Good luck

7. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    That's good news Sarah. Good luck with the move.

8. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    Sounds like a positive move Sarah :)

Good luck with the de-cluttering xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

9. creativesarah

what's decluttering???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. creativesarah

Thanks Barry I went to Royston last year to my friends niece they live in a house called green lawns?

It's a lovely place

Hope I don't get too overwhelmed!

11. grove

grove Registered User

Aug 24, 2010
    North Yorkshire
    hello. Sarah

Hi good luck with the move & decluttering means getting rid of all. Your rubbish etc & only keeping what you need and want too keep ! Decluttering is just a big posh word for throwing rubbish out etc. ! !
    Handy good advice. I had too empty out my spare wardrobe for.my guest bedroom. I got 3. Big rubbish sacks. One was.proper. rubbish. , second sack was for.jumble sale. & last bag was for the charity. Shop !
    You could do the same. ? One bag for all important things that YOU have too keep. Write a Big label on so you know.what is in the sack. !
    Other sack is rubbish ONLY ! Hope this helps.
    Good luck.

Love ..Grove. X x.X.

12. grove

grove Registered User

Aug 24, 2010
    North Yorkshire
    P s.

Hi. Sarah if it helps you could have a section. In your bedroom a pile of all the. Important stuff you have too keep > equipment.for. your craft jobs etc. , etc & a another section for all the.rubbish Out of date stuff that you do not want too keep etc or. Make a list of the rubbish etc. And another list for all the stuff you have too keep ! Just a idea.

Love Grove. X x

13. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    I know that feeling. What I consider essential, others see as clutter...

Groves idea of different piles of stuff is a good one... Knowing your room, I suggest you use another room than your bedroom to do this..... That way at least you would be able to get into bed at night :eek: :D

Positive thinking Sarah. You may find those elusive lost teeth :eek:

:D

Hugs xxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

14. creativesarah

15. jeany123

jeany123 Registered User

Mar 24, 2012
    Durham
    Good luck Sarah I hope your move goes well x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

16. grove

grove Registered User

Aug 24, 2010
    North Yorkshire
    Hello Sarah

You are very welcome Sarah & it is all ways good too have useful ideas from your T P friends ! :)

Hope your bedroom tidy up etc is going well ? & hope you have a good day & week

Love Grove x

17. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    We are contemplating a downsizing move in a year or so and are trying to start the triage of all our stuff now. Over the course of time, my husband has turned 32 boxes of "stuff" into 8 boxes and is still working forward slowly. So it can be done.

Good luck, Sarah!

18. creativesarah

Wow that's inspiring

19. Chrismitch

Chrismitch Registered User

Jun 23, 2011
    We did it three years ago. It is exciting and so liberating. We moved from a village into town after living there for 30 years. We don't regret it at all.

20. DianeW

DianeW Registered User

Sep 10, 2013
    Lytham St Annes
    It really was very satisfying downsizing for me anyway.

We now live in a 1 bed apartment with little storage..... Thought it would be impossible, but we managed really well, have a place for everything and did get rid of loads of unused stuff.

Good luck with your move.