Moving house

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Some time ago I posted about thinking about moving and received replies supporting the idea while my husband could understand what is happening and settle in a new home. Well we went ahead and bought a dormer bungalow even though I haven't yet managed to sell our current house. We move in about 9 days. It's tiring, stressful and worrying but I think it will be worth it once we are in.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Trisha, my husband and I moved 7 months ago. He is mid-term VasDem. We moved from a 3 bed 2 storey house with upstairs bathroom to a 2 bed bungalow (Annexed to our daughter's house). I am very glad we moved when we did as OH has deteriorated physically as well as mentally and would really struggle with stairs now. He swings from loving the place in the morning to hating it, "What a dump" when he is sundowning and wanting to go 'home' but we had all that at the last house too so nothing to do with the move.

My husband went into respite whilst my daughters helped me move and it was definitely the best thing for him, with hindsight I know he never would have coped with the actual move, all the boxes and upheaval. As it was he came back to a relatively organised home, armchair ready and telly rigged up.

I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible and that you've got help? xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I'm glad it's all going well for you, I keep telling myself it's time to move somewhere smaller and more manageable, usually when I'm cleaning bedrooms no one ever uses.
Probably I've left it too late but then as my wife asked me this morning where the bathroom was would it matter after all we've been here 28 years so if she can't find the bathroom here would it matter if she couldn't find it somewhere else?
K

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Dreadfully stressful time Trisha. We moved 5 years ago to a bungalow and now I thank God that we did. I dread to think how we would have coped in the old house and moving would be so much more difficult now.
Hope everything goes well for you and you soon settle in.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I'm glad it's all going well for you, I keep telling myself it's time to move somewhere smaller and more manageable, usually when I'm cleaning bedrooms no one ever uses.
Probably I've left it too late but then as my wife asked me this morning where the bathroom was would it matter after all we've been here 28 years so if she can't find the bathroom here would it matter if she couldn't find it somewhere else?
K

My husband usually can't find the bathroom or his bedroom but, as you say with your wife, he couldn't in the last house. When he's sundowning he gets very frustrated trying to find the stairs. Now 7 months on if I say we live in a bungalow he says 'Oh yes' and then in the next breath says I'm just going upstairs!! Small price to pay. xxx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Trisha; all the very best to you. Much easier, of course, to sit behind a screen and say that to someone. Can't even imagine what it'll entail, what, with your loved one having to see things packed up and wondering what that's all about? I'd never have managed such a thing with the way my hubby displayed much of his condition. I can only hope everything isn't too hard for you, and that you can look forward to something easier to manage when it's all moved and you are settled.

Have you got enough support for the actual move?

Chrismitch

Jun 23, 2011
I remember encouraging you to make the move. Glad all is going well. If YOU find it easier in the new place it will also benefit your OH.
We moved and whilst we moved to a lovely flat with a view, close to the town, OH can't occupy himself any more checking football results, listening to his music (iTunes did an update and everything looks different now) but we've now moved again! To sheltered housing in a different town where there are lots of kind people, support, activities and Alzheimers cafes every other day, not to mention close to a supportive family.
It is still tough going of course and will get tougher, but anything one can do to make the journey easier is a bonus.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thank you everyone for your good wishes. I'll keep you posted x

We moved from our family house to a bungalow 16 years ago, pre Alzheimer's, and I'm so glad we did. I hope everything goes smoothly for you and wish you every happiness in your new home. xxx

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
I wish we had moved number of years ago but hubby would not budge - now I couldn't contemplate moving as hubby has deteriorated so much so we'll have to stay put.

It's good that you have gone ahead and made the move - tiring, stressful yes but you'll soon settle in

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Looking at the house full of stuff everywhere today it looks impossible for Tuesday. So hard to keep patient when I say the same thing for the twentieth time. On the positive side Mick is managing to unscrew things off the wall and jobs like that which is helping his morale. Watch this space!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Looking at the house full of stuff everywhere today it looks impossible for Tuesday. So hard to keep patient when I say the same thing for the twentieth time. On the positive side Mick is managing to unscrew things off the wall and jobs like that which is helping his morale. Watch this space!

Oh that "twentieth time" comment is sooooooooooooo familiar. However big the mountain seems, you will be able to climb it, though it seems impossible now. Just one step at a time sweetie. Good luck for Tuesday. xxx

Frederic H

Apr 1, 2015
Devon
Some time ago I posted about thinking about moving and received replies supporting the idea while my husband could understand what is happening and settle in a new home. Well we went ahead and bought a dormer bungalow even though I haven't yet managed to sell our current house. We move in about 9 days. It's tiring, stressful and worrying but I think it will be worth it once we are in.

good luck Trish hope it works out.We have now got our house under offer and have made an offer on an apartment in a retirement village.Some thing I knew nothing about until recently.Obvious advantages,no stairs and company if needed.Also with fewer rooms no cries of Where are you !
My o/h is looking forward to it and quite relaxed about what we are having to get rid of as we declutter and downsize,although I half expect her to say she has changed
her mind.
This morning we had one of those moments which did make me think.
I woke her at 9 am telling her that we had to be at the doctors for a blood test at 11.20 and then we were going out to lunch.At 10.30 she was still reading the paper in her dressing gown so I reminded her."You never told me "As soon as she got upstairs she said she wanted a bath and I had to tell her there was not time.
A row followed !!! we made the doctors in time but I keep have to tell myself that it is not really her being so bolshie.
I appreciate that this is a tiny event compared with many of your posts but those of us just coming to terms with it all it is a stepping stone,but I wish I knew to where

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Good luck for tomorrow Trisha. :) Hope everything goes smoothly for you, and may you find things easier to cope with in your new home xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75