Moving house

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
good luck Trish hope it works out.We have now got our house under offer and have made an offer on an apartment in a retirement village.Some thing I knew nothing about until recently.Obvious advantages,no stairs and company if needed.Also with fewer rooms no cries of Where are you !
My o/h is looking forward to it and quite relaxed about what we are having to get rid of as we declutter and downsize,although I half expect her to say she has changed
her mind.
This morning we had one of those moments which did make me think.
I woke her at 9 am telling her that we had to be at the doctors for a blood test at 11.20 and then we were going out to lunch.At 10.30 she was still reading the paper in her dressing gown so I reminded her."You never told me "As soon as she got upstairs she said she wanted a bath and I had to tell her there was not time.
A row followed !!! we made the doctors in time but I keep have to tell myself that it is not really her being so bolshie.
I appreciate that this is a tiny event compared with many of your posts but those of us just coming to terms with it all it is a stepping stone,but I wish I knew to where

Frederic H, do hope everything goes smoothly but you may find all the old habits don't go away. We moved from a house to an open plan two bed annexe with bathroom off the living room, all on one level about 8 months ago. My husband constantly says he's going upstairs and searches everywhere to find them and if he can't see me, even if I'm in the kitchen area just behind his chair he keeps asking where I am! Add to that it is new to him every time he walks in although some things are an exact duplicate of things at our 'other' house, (not the one we moved from).

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Last edited:

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Morning all on this wet Bank Holiday Monday. The move has gone reasonably well. Good points - Mick has put up some shelves in the airing cupboard after I measured and worked out where and he has done some other small jobs he didn't think he could do. Less good points - moving is knackering which increases Mick's confusion and my short temper. He also seems to need to see me the whole time which was coming anyway. Stanley dog has settled fortunately. I am learning new skills and hoping to put up a blind and curtain rail today working together. Ah well, off to unpack another box.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I remember encouraging you to make the move. Glad all is going well. If YOU find it easier in the new place it will also benefit your OH.
We moved and whilst we moved to a lovely flat with a view, close to the town, OH can't occupy himself any more checking football results, listening to his music (iTunes did an update and everything looks different now) but we've now moved again! To sheltered housing in a different town where there are lots of kind people, support, activities and Alzheimers cafes every other day, not to mention close to a supportive family.
It is still tough going of course and will get tougher, but anything one can do to make the journey easier is a bonus.

Chrismitch, if you ever need a hand with iTunes, it's my fave music software. Do ask. If I don't know, I can always look it up. Trisha, wishing you well for tomorrow :)

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Well done, Trish. You must have been hugely organised to have pulled it off. It takes ages to get every thing done properly but so good to know you can settle at last. I wish you many happy times in your new home. It was immensely stressful moving here 5 years ago but I am so very grateful that we did it when we did. It gave us time to build up some good memories in this house and I shudder to think how we would have managed in the old one.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
We are now in the process of selling so that we can move to the area of the country where we spent most of our 42 year marriage. We have been in this house for three year in an area we didn't know to be nearer to family, but we miss old friends and familiar places. In doing this I hope MOH will regain his interest in life, as when we visit on holiday now, he talks about places and things we or he did years ago, and the people we knew.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
We are now in the process of selling so that we can move to the area of the country where we spent most of our 42 year marriage. We have been in this house for three year in an area we didn't know to be nearer to family, but we miss old friends and familiar places. In doing this I hope MOH will regain his interest in life, as when we visit on holiday now, he talks about places and things we or he did years ago, and the people we knew.

All the best to you, Bree. Hope you find somewhere you like :)

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Well done, Trish. You must have been hugely organised to have pulled it off. It takes ages to get every thing done properly but so good to know you can settle at last. I wish you many happy times in your new home. It was immensely stressful moving here 5 years ago but I am so very grateful that we did it when we did. It gave us time to build up some good memories in this house and I shudder to think how we would have managed in the old one.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you. This is just what I need to hear. When I wondered what the ..... I was doing moving us, I thought about how we would cope in the future where we were and I carried on. So glad I did. I haven't sold our other house yet so had to take out a mortgage and use investments. It was a big venture in lots of ways but this is a lovely house.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire

All the best Bree. I haven't managed to sell yet but we are in our new home and it is lovely.

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Thank you both for your good wishes. We are house hunting next week, and seeing several friends along the way. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa