Moving house .

Devonmaid

Sep 23, 2007
Dartmoor Devon
Good morning all . Our landlady dropped a bombshell on us at the weekend , they want to sell this cottage and wont be renewing our tenancy which runs out in late November . Well, good timing really came into play because on Monday , we found another place to rent in Cornwall , only 15 mins from my daughter who is expecting her third baby just after Christmas . It is hard trying to find somewhere to rent with pets , we are on the housing list as Paul is disabled but it could be years to wait and so we hope that the new place will be the long term that the landlord assures us it will be . Oh dear, I feel awful for moaning but its a really grey and miserable little place . This cottage was supposed to be long term , we have made it home and have superb doctors and its been a real shock to us both . The new place is tiny and we will have to get rid of lots of stuff, it is a bit of a tip to be honest and the garden, well, its a jungle and Paul cant do it . Anyway , I had a horrible day yesterday , felt so down , Mum goes into the EMI unit next week , Paul is facing more surgery, one of our dogs is really poorly and then this, it all got on top of me . I didnt get much sleep last night , worrying about everything , then I thought well, we can make it homely , I love painting and gardening , its a little grey place that could be a little gem . Just wish that we were a bit younger , the spirit is willing etc. !!!!!!! Sorry for moaning, just had to let off a bit of steam , will be back to myself in a day or two I`m sure ,
love Kate

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
So sorry Kate.

I can see you`re trying to make the best of bad news but an upheaval like moving, particularly when you`d rather not, and also when you have a lot of improvements to make, is something you could do without at this time of your life.

Going to a smaller place will be the most difficult, if you have to get rid of stuff.

I`m not being very helpful am I?

What will be will be and I just hope it`s not too much of an ordeal. Perhaps it`s meant to be for you to live nearer your daughter and grandchildren.

Love xx

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Kate,
Moving house is so stressful at the best of times. I hope that all goes well with the move and I'm sure that in time you will have it looking like a little gem. Sorry to hear about Paul and the dog also, been poorly.
I hope that all goes well for your mum next week, boy, you have more than your share of worries.
I hope that you manage to get on top of things. Kind Thoughts, Take Care. Taffy.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Kate, so sorry you've had this additional bombshell thrust on you just when you least need it.

I know how difficult it is to decide what to get rid of when moving to a smaller house. John and I has a drastic prune when we married, as we each had our own house. Then we pruned again when we moved here, and realistically I should now be down-sizing again, but I can't face it yet.

I'm sure your mum will settle well in her unit, at least if it's as good as John's, and I hope Paul and the dog will soon be well again.

As for the house? Well, you turned the present one into a lovely home, so now you have a new opportunity! I'm sure that little gem is just waiting to emerge. And it will be lovely to be closer to your daughter and grandchildren.

You've every right to moan, but knowing you, you're already making plans for the new place, and beginning to feel excited. Am I right?

Let us know how it goes, every detail as you polish your new gem!

Love,

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Kate,

I'm not sure if you're happy to move at the end of November or not, but assuming you have an assured shorthold tenancy (most new tenancies are this sort unless you expressly agree it is something else but without seeing the agreement I can't say for definite) the tenancy does not automatically come to an end on the date specified in the agreement. The Landlord has to give you at least 2 months written notice. This may give you a little more time, but not much admittedly.

I would suggest that you get legal advice if you are concerned. Try the CAB as they can normally be quite good on Landlord and Tenant law.

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Hi Kate,

Earlier this year I moved my mum and dad from their home that they had been in for about 40 years. My dad wanted to move but my mum didn't. They were going to move to a smaller home with a smaller garden, but it was nearer to me and my sister. We had to go through all their things and decide what was going and what was staying with them. They moved, and they were really happy. Before my dad recently passed away, he used to say that their new home was like a piece of heaven. Now that my mum is on her own and me and my sister are close by to look after her, she loves her new home, but most of all she loves being close to us.

My mum loves gardenening too and now she loves her smaller garden that she has made beautiful.

You can do this too Kate, and being nearer to your daugher and grandchildren is very important.

You don't need to be younger, and you shouldn't say sorry for moaning. It is not moaning, it is sharing your thoughts and feelings with us all.

I would love to see photos of your new garden when you have made it beautiful.

Take care.

Love Michele x