Moving house tips

nickyromf

Jun 17, 2006
Cardiff
Hi! My mum was diagnosed 2 years ago with Alzheimer's and has just bought a sheltered accomodation flat across the road from me. In the past few months she has become a lot more forgetful than she's been previously. The 200 mile move from Essex to Wales is going to be very disruptive to the routines she has established to help herself cope.

I've been trying to think of ways to keep the disorientation she is going to feel to a minimum, new home, not knowing where things are. She can also be a bit stubborn when she thinks you're trying to organise her!! When she does move I will have the week off to try and help as much as I can and I have considered putting labels on cupboards etc to let her know where we've put stuff as well as using wipe on, wipe off boards to help her remember certain things.

Does anyone have any other tips that could help us? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Nicky

Dont envy your task. When mum moved to the NH we took as much of her furniture that we could cram in. We arranged all her bedroom furniture in the same layout as at home, looks a total mess, (Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen would have a heart attack:eek: ), but it seemed to help.

I was very careful to arrange all her things in cupboards etc. also in the same way as at home (we in the end had lists about lists), but for all that, when mum wanted something she could go straight to the correct place. Even the copious amounts of ornaments are arranged exactly the same.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the move.

Love
Cate

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Nicky. Sorry to be Job`s comforter but I doubt there is any way you can avoid confusion .
We moved 4 years ago and, at that time, we didn`t know my husband had any problems.
He still opens every cupboard to find a cup.
All I can advise is to keep possessions to a minimum. In my experience, labelling doesn`t work, but you may find it does. As we all know, everyone is different.
Good luck. Sylvia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laneyd