Moving house -help

RaspPav

Jan 10, 2016
Hi, just wanted to say, please don't judge my decision to move. We all have different situations & each case of dementia is different. I felt I couldn't come on here for a long time after some comments I received regarding taking my mum to Florida. As an update, that holiday was difficult at times but I wouldn't have swapped it for the world, mum loved her time in the sun! Also, thanks for the support I got too, that was really helpful.

Anyway, onwards. Mum lives with us currently. We've been trying to move area for some years & it's finally happening! This is great for us as there is far more support where we're moving both for mum in the community & us all as we have family there.

I know this will be difficult for mum. I guess what I'm after is general advice? I'm wondering how on earth I'm going to cope with having to move us plus mum's part of the house, much of mum's belongings/furniture will need putting into storage or selling as we will be building a space for mum at the new house. My problem is how do I get mum out of the house to allow me to get on with this part so it doesn't upset her? I've already got plans to pack up the things she 'needs' to bring with help from mum so I can involve her. It's the 30+ years of 'stuff' which she didn't really need when she last moved that I've got to sort through & throw away or charity shop. This is the stuff she won't let go of yet it has no sentimental attachment or use. Any ideas?

I've asked for a 'dementia friend' who could maybe take her out on day trips but there's been no contact so I'm assuming there are none in my area.

She would refuse respite I'm sure but if anyone's got any suggestions as to how I could maybe persuade her that this would be good for her (i.e. She would have company? She'd get used to it for when we are away at any point & she needs extra support?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks