Moving House - Advice needed.

kathynewman

Nov 16, 2014
Hope ok to post in this forum - wasn't sure which was the best section!

My mum in law is 86 years old and has been diagnosed with cognitive dementia. As a result of this a few weeks ago she had a driving assessment and was told not to drive again. 10 days later she sadly had to have her 17 year old dog put to sleep. We have spoken to her a few times over recent months about the possibility of her moving close to us (me & her son - we live an hour away & visit at least once or twice a week) and she had always said no- however she brought up the topic when we discussed with her options as she was no longer able to drive (she lives too far from shops to walk, could not cope with Taxi etc) as she has said she feels isolated now. She has received an offer on her house and found somewhere a few mins drive from us.
Whilst on the face of it this I think is a good thing for her to do - she will be a few minutes' walk from shops and we can visit daily if need be and can do a lot more socially with her (she currently has no real social contact - had very little even when she could drive and much less now - all she does is sit indoors) - whilst appreciating how difficult it will be for her to make such a change especially as she has lived in her house for 46 years, I am concerned about how this all might affect her. She viewed the bungalow here and really liked it but now keeps saying that she must go and look at it - not remembering that she has already done so - her short term memory is so bad.
Has anyone else been in this situation and have any advice how we can make this as easy as possible for her?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
What about leaving small daily lists of things to be done before the move, it might help to keep it fresh in her mind. Nothing too complicated and no sorting to throw away or give to charity she probably will not want to let go of anything. Also maybe you could leave a list for her of the things that she will be able to do when she does move. A photograph of her new home and address pinned up on her wall may also help. Good luck with the move and although you did not ask, you are doing absolutely the right thing.

kathynewman

Nov 16, 2014
Thanks for the reply - will try those suggestions. First hurdle tomorrow is trip to solicitors to sign initial paperwork and then another viewing of the new bungalow - just hope she still likes it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife