Moving Homes

WishfulThinker

Jan 21, 2016
Hi there, Im actually a care worker looking for advice. I hope you don't mind me posting!

We have a lady who has been with us for 7years, and unfortunately has now deteriorated and requires a nursing care home. She has no family, or friends -no visitors. We have been her family and friends.
Its without question that she needs to move as we cannot meet her needs, is there anything we can do that will help her transition? She becomes very unsettled in new environments and this will no doubt be confusing and frightening for her.

Any tips on anything we can do?
We've got a little basket of gifts for her of things we know comforts her (her favourite biscuits for example) along with a letter explaining the move... is there anything else we can do to make the move easier?

Thanks!

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Is there anything from her room that could go with her - blanket or duvet cover, perhaps? So that at least something might look familiar.
I hope it'll be easier than you fear. We had to move an aunt from an ordinary residential home to a dementia one. We were very worried about it, but in fact she settled remarkably quickly.

WishfulThinker

Jan 21, 2016
Thanks for the response! Everything from her room (except the furniture) is going with her

I hope she does well.
Obviously people have left for nursing before at our home, but they've always had family to help them with the change, which is why I'm more worried. But, the new home is lovely and I'm certain she'll make friends!

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
yes I agree quilty. Some photos of key carers - with names and a little bit about each of them, just like you would do with family
Also could you all get together and write a list of all the things that she likes and dislikes and especially anything that you have done with her that makes her happy. Just like you would do if you were family and someone was moving environments.
Little things like if she does this then she is in pain, or she loves having a hand massage. Things that they will be able to do for her quite quickly so that she settles more

I'm really sorry that she is having to move - you must feel as though you are losing a friend but perhaps some will be able to visit from time to time to check all is well?

WishfulThinker

Jan 21, 2016
That's a great idea thanks! (Can't believe didn't think of photos with her and us)

We have it all written up on her likes and dislikes ready ☺

Thankyou everyone x

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Im glad there are carers like you in the world. The media only hear about the bad ones. Maybe TP should create awards for excellence in care. I would like to award few myself. Thank you from all of us.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I agree, it's great to hear from a very caring carer.

In addition to a note about her likes and dislikes, I assume medical history will be going with her, or that the new facility will have access to that?

I would also write out as much of her personal and background information as you know or have in your files. Any personal information will be helpful for the staff at her new home and she may not be able to tell them herself. When my mother moved to her care home, I filled a zillion forms that included pages of personal information, everything from important dates, to her schooling and work history, to her family history, names of pets she'd had, you name it, it was in there. So anything you can tell her new home, I think would be important.

And I do hope someone will be able to visit, to see that she's settling in her new home and being properly looked after.