Moving from residential care to nursing home

ggma

Feb 18, 2012
North Staffordshire
Thanks everyone for your advice back in March.
We have moved Mum and she settled in straight away. Nursing home have been great with her and Mum is much brighter in her mood. There is a lot more going on and Mum really seems to like people watching, she positions herself by the lifts to see the coming and goings
I was so pleased that the hairdresser told me that this week Mum went into salon when she saw door open and sat down, hairdressers says she really enjoys her hair being done. A small thing but shows how settled she is.
We have also noticed that as she is now walking a lot more in the long corridors Mum is much improved in her walking when we take her out
I am so glad I went with my gut feeling, mum was just sitting and fading away before now there are sparks of the woman she was again.
I know it will not last but It is lovely to have a positive experience and just wanted to share.

leedsfan

Apr 1, 2012
Thanks everyone for your advice back in March.
We have moved Mum and she settled in straight away. Nursing home have been great with her and Mum is much brighter in her mood. There is a lot more going on and Mum really seems to like people watching, she positions herself by the lifts to see the coming and goings
I was so pleased that the hairdresser told me that this week Mum went into salon when she saw door open and sat down, hairdressers says she really enjoys her hair being done. A small thing but shows how settled she is.
We have also noticed that as she is now walking a lot more in the long corridors Mum is much improved in her walking when we take her out
I am so glad I went with my gut feeling, mum was just sitting and fading away before now there are sparks of the woman she was again.
I know it will not last but It is lovely to have a positive experience and just wanted to share.

Hello,

Yes, thank you for letting us know how you are and your Mum. I know you will always have her at the back of your mind, but when they 'settle' it brings a bit of peace to you doesn't it? That constant beating of your heart that drums away in your ears, especially at night, calms a little, and you will start to feel such relief.

I know like so many on here, you will be totally unselfish but do try and regain some of your life, knowing your Mum is being looked after in what sounds like the best place.

Take care of you now.

Jane

marsaday

Mar 2, 2012
Good to hear. We are facing a move to nursing from (highly)supported living. I am dreading it but if it's what she needs then so be it.

ggma

Feb 18, 2012
North Staffordshire
Thanks for your support, and I do feel so relieved Mum is being well cared for and seems much happier. I am hoping now not to get the same number of phone calls saying she is on her way to A &E, could just not relax before waiting for phone to ring!

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Thank-you for sharing, I think it's important to know there can be positive experiences after making what feel like tough choices.

I'm so glad it has gone so well. You mum sounds very happy indeed. And how good that she has had some real improvement?

Take care of yourself now,

Stephanie, xxx