Moving equipment

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Hi, I just wonder if anyone has used any equipment for moving patients when are they sitting down on the floor?

Last year my wife went into the hospital being able to walk and get around, within a few weeks she had lost all mobility and required a hoist and sling for all movements. Recently she has started to get up on and feet and walk around the lounge, however, she will get tired and often ends often end up sitting down on the floor and will not move. In order to get her near the hoist area, I have to call the ambulance service which is far from ideal. I just wonder if you have any experience of how to move people in this situation. I suppose I could request a mobile hoist from the OT but I don't have much free space within the house to keep it.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Thanks, @nitram, yes the air cushions are very expensive and it is not what I really need. I just want to be able to move my wife towards the hoist area, think of a mini car transporter.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Move her onto a slide sheet and pull the sheet?
Maybe try a thick builders' rubble plastic waste bag.
If using slide sheet be careful you don't slip on it and fall.

Last edited:

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
What hoist do you have then Alex is it an overhead ceiling mounted?
Not ideal but could you shadow her with a wheelchair? It's the way OTs and physios do it if uncertain about the mobility of a patient.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
What hoist do you have
Fixed overhead hoist, they are a lot better than the mobile versions.
I try to keep a close eye on her and bring the chair over when things get difficult, but the last few days she has ended down on the floor. It is then a case of using slide sheets and pulling her towards the hoist. Problem is the carers are not allowed to move her, so it is either me alone or waiting for the ambulance. It is also a waste of the ambulance resources and it also exposes us to the extra risk of covid exposure.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I remember reading on here that someone uses an inflatable pouffe - as a sort of cheap version of the Air Cushion. I cant remember who posted it, though.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
someone uses an inflatable pouffe
You have got me thinking, buy one of those airbeds with a built-in air pump. Pull the air bed into position and then use the pump to inflate it. Perhaps I could glue a slide sheet to the underneath of the airbed to made it easier to move.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Not sure if we are allowed to name a company, if not then apologies , but complete care shop have slide and glide sheets etc that may be worth looking at

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I remember reading on here that someone uses an inflatable pouffe - as a sort of cheap version of the Air Cushion. I cant remember who posted it, though.

That was me. Just use an electric pump to pump it up and position yourself behind the person so they can’t fall backwards or side wards. I used to get dad to hold onto a chair or his Zimmer frame to steady himself too.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Thanks, @Bunpoots , I have ordered a single air bed with a separate electric pump. I would not try and do it by myself, but at least I can wait for the carers to come and assist getting the airbed in situ, then just inflate the bed and pull it towards the hoist area. The carer company has some strange rules and regulations, they will assist in moving her onto the airbed, but will not help in moving the airbed towards the hoist area.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Dad's carers would disappear into the kitchen when we got the pouffe out! I understand why but there are some overcautious rules . I did a full risk-assessment and dad was able to lift his bum off the floor so I could slide the pouffe under him. Had he not been able to take instruction it wouldn't have worked as his carers wouldn't move him.

Up the Creek

Sep 9, 2020
East Anglia
Having spent the last hour and three quarters getting my mum off the floor and back to sitting on the sofa I was just describing to her how we needed an inflatable something that she could wriggle onto and then at the press of a button she could be back on her feet...as usual TP comes to the rescue ?

This is the second time in a couple of years I have had to do this so have decided to invest in an air cushion.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to DTP @fatimab

Air cushions are eye-wateringly expensive but the inflatable poufe/footstool which I bought to use for my dad cost about £20 and then another £5 for an electric pump to inflate it. Bargain ?