Moving during pandemic

Concerned J

Jun 15, 2014
London
My mum is currently living with my brother in Chester. Mum was due to move in with my sister in London at Easter. My sister gave up work specifically to care for Mum.
Obviously due to the pandemic our plans have gone awry.
My question is:
"Are we allowed to travel to Chester, pick Mum up and travel back to London." Do we need permission from someone : GP or police.
Any advice most welcome

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I don't think anyone has been giving permission for these sort of things but you get fined if you break the rules.

The government has now stated that we can move house and one of the odd ones in the list when restrictions were eased was students who hadn't returned to parents home before lockdown could now move (I am aware a lot of 2nd and 3rd years didn't return when lockdown happened - I am also aware of a lot of motorway journeys done on the night lockdown was announced to transport students and their hastily packed belongings).

So I think that you wouldn't be breaking any rules to do this, however if your sister can do this on her own or just members of her household this would be ideal.

Edited to add: I also think you should aim to do the journey in one day (I am in the Chester area and my son frequently competes in North London - so I am aware of the journey length which may be prohibitive but do do it in one day myself)

Others might be along with different opinions.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I think I’m with @jugglingmum on this one. I think it might be different if you were going to attempt it by public transport, but if not too many people are involved and you do it in a day it should be OK. My parents used to live in the North-West and I wouldn’t have wanted to go there and back in a day, but I lived in south-east London so that was at least an hour to the M1. My husband went to and from Bangor in a day a couple of times when our son was at university there, but I thought that was a bit mad!
I hope it works out @Concerned J , this forum is a brilliant place for help and advice, so keep dropping in.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
This is from a page from BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52646738

Can I go on holiday in the UK?
People in England are free to drive any distance to other destinations in England, like parks and beaches, but are not supposed to stay overnight away from home (including any second property they own).

Personally I think it is all down to common sense, your mum needs a home and support which was arranged before the lockdown started. Just carry proof and reason for travel before setting out.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My mum is currently living with my brother in Chester. Mum was due to move in with my sister in London at Easter. My sister gave up work specifically to care for Mum.
Obviously due to the pandemic our plans have gone awry.
My question is:
"Are we allowed to travel to Chester, pick Mum up and travel back to London." Do we need permission from someone : GP or police.
Any advice most welcome
Personally I would just go ahead and do it. We can't possibly have a standard operating procedure manual for everything with this situation. This is necessary essential travel to assist a vulnerable person .

Concerned J

Jun 15, 2014
London
Thank you everyone. The good news is that my siblings who have been at loggerheads have all spoken civilly to eachother and decided on the best solution is what is best for mum. She will be moved when it is safe . Thank you all