Moving Day

jks

Jul 2, 2005
West Yorkshire
Well, it's finally here. The day that I've wanted for years, decades even.

My parents (and Billy the Tortoise) are moving 100 miles up the M1 to a bungalow on a retirement complex just up the road from me.

Dad has AD, and swings between looking forward to moving, and not knowing what on earth we're on about. Mum is in a wheelchair after a stroke earlier this year, and can't wait to get in. Billy is hibernating. Lucky Billy.

So this marks an end to our weekly 200 mile trips to take them shopping, do the washing, etc. Hopefully, it will be the start of them regaining a quality of life they deserve.

I feel so nervous I could cry. And no doubt will before the day's out.

Jks

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi JKS, how lovely, I do hope the move goes smoothly, please keep us posted. Just not having to do that journey will be a blessing. To have your parents close enough for you to just pop in will be so much easier for you all. Love She. XX

jks

Jul 2, 2005
West Yorkshire
Thank you for your good wishes.

Everything went very well, and so far there's been no regrets at all. Dad can't find his way around the bungalow too well, (despite the fact there's only 5 rooms!) but there again he occasionally got lost in the old one. We haven't tackled outside yet.

Amazingly, he says that he now has no recollection whatsoever of their previous home, can't remember a thing about it. This may be a blessing in some ways, but it's sad that 25 years of living there has just been forgotten overnight.

AS moving day drew nearer, I was having increasing doubts as to whether this was the right thing to do, and if Dad would ever cope with such a dramatic change to his life. But so far, so good.

Best Wihes to you all,

jks

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
I am so pleased that the move went well.

I am very lucky as I have never lived more than 10 minutes from my parents until last year when Dad died and Mum moved into a home, about 15 minutes away.

Life will be easier for you now without the added stress of being far away from them both.

Best wishes to all of you for a calm and peaceful Christmas and New Year.

And sleep tight Billy until the spring!

Kathleen

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
:) Congratulations on a job well done!

And don't forget (if in the future he starts to say "I want to go home") to many AD patients, "home" isn't what you would think of their old house, or even your own home, it seems to be a term used by them to mean a place where they used to feel safe & secure, which is frequently the old home of their long-dead parents, 50 or 60 years back when they were children!