Moving Dad follow up

Barby

May 5, 2008
We have now had the best interest meeting at FIL's care home and the meeting was siblings only although BIL's wife was there and did join in!
The result is now in the hands of the doctors because the 2 brothers cannot come to an agreement.
So it's yet another month wait while this is sorted!!
It is so disheartening, his time is so precious to us and if he is left where he is he will not get the visits and care that he would if he was near us.
My hubby checked out the travelling distance and it's the same travelling time (using M'ways) for BIL to visit him if he's moved here and he can also stay with us instead of in a hotel.
BIL and his wife seem to think the move will kill him but we have already asked and been given the ok before this dispute started.
We wonder if the past history of care and visits will hold any sway in the decision, as we have been the main distance carers and BIL only visits about 3 times a year.
We are thinking of writing to the doctor as my husband got to know him well over the years(we even have his mobile number).
It's frustrating, maddening and so upsetting to have this decision taken out of our hands!
Thanks for reading this it seems to help to write it down and get it out of the system
Barby

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I would definitely write. You have to use every avenue at your disposal I feel. You would think they would take into account frequency of visits, but you can never be sure. I suspect the inclination is to take the easiest and or cheapest route unless you effectively advocate for him. Keep us posted.