Moving Dad asap

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
:eek::(Have decided after visiting Dad today that I would like to move him from the NH is currently in asap. He is 3rd on the list at one nearer to my home and I am going to visit it on the 21st.
What issues have made me decide this well here are a few:
1)Carer working despite being 7 months pregnant..what happens if Dad falls?
2) Dad had a fall on Friday and has a large graze on his forehead and nose and a bump and bruise over his eye...still not seen anyone I can ask about what happened and was not informed about the fall....should I be?
3) Still no careplan in place
4) Asked if he could have newspapers every day...had them for a few days and has now been told it's not "economical"
to get them delivered just for him:eek:
5)Had to take his own duvet in for him as despite being told twice they would supply one they still only put sheets and a blanket on his bed!
6):eek:Today was the icing on the cake....when I was there the fire alarm went off...not a practice..and I was asked to leave by one of the careres...what about Dad I asked..no they stay I was told....why?!!!!! Surley they should get the residents out too?

Please keep your fingers crossed that we can move Dad soon...I was worried when he lived in his flat alone but I am still worried about him now:(

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Jack
Sorry to hear that things are this bad in Dads new home. You are not being unreasonable to expect these things to be done properly. There will be others who can give you more specific advice. If it were my dad, I'd be really worried about the fall and grazes etc. I would have expected to be informed about them. This happened to my dad and I had found him on the floor when I visited. it was one of a number of falls. When I phoned the following Monday, I asked them to tell me how many falls he had. They gave me a list, but the one I had seen wasn't documented. I got on to SS and explained how worried I was about undocumented falls and they got onto it quickly.
My experience is that Nursing Homes try to get away with doing as little as possible unless you make a fuss.
Also your Dad has to have a care plan, I think you should have been involved in compiling it. This is something I am sorting at the moment for my Dad. Jack, did you manage to get hold of your SW about earlier concerns regarding this home?
Hope you get something sorted soon.
take care
hendy

CassElle

Jun 7, 2005
Blackpool
Good for you Jack. Get your dad out of there its disgusting and he deserves better than that as they all do. You should definately have been told about the fall and it should be logged somewhere. I would ask to see this and I would ask for a full explanation of all the issues you have raised. I would then tell them of your intention to move your dad. I would also tell them that until you can move him to somewhere more suitable, should you have any further cause to raise anyother issues then you will not be raising them with themselves but with higher authoroties. Whats the big deal about having a newspaper delivered. Its hardly an expense!!! and dont suppose theres much else in the way of stimulation. Its just a pity that there are no vacancies in the home of your choice.

Hope you can get your dad sorted and settled soon.

Casselle

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Jack, can I try to address your complaint?

1. They can't stop a pregnant worker from working. They should have a system in operation that she does not do any lifting, she should ring for help of someone falls.

2. People do have falls as their balance deteriorates. It happens all the time in John's unit. If it's just grazing, they dress the wound and keep an eye out for signs of concussion. Any serious cut or other possible damage and they ring for an ambulance immediately.

I agree though that you should be informed. Have you told them that you want to be informed of any accident, no matter how trivial?

3. There should certainly be a care plan. Have you asked about this?

4. Well, it could be that there is no delivery service to the home. I can't get papers delivered to the house, fewer and fewer newsagents offer this service, the kids don't want the job these days.

5. Well again, this is something to take up with the home. John also has just blankets, I think it's because they're easier to wash, and therefore more hygienic.

6. Fire alarm. I was in the lounge one day when the alarm went off. I was horrified to see all the doors close automatically, shutting patients and visitors in. We were all told to stay put. I asked about this, and apparently they have regular training with the fire service, and a fixed evacuation plan. Everyone stays put until the fire service arrives.

Makes sense. Elderly people, panicking and partly immobile, all trying to get out would mean more people getting hurt.

I'd ask the home about all this, and ask the same questions of the home you prefer. You may find the answers are similar.

I'm not saying don't move your dad, just that the home he's in is not necessarily as bad as you think.

Last edited:

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Thank you both for your replies.
Skye I take on board all the points you have made...and especially the fire-alarm one...that does seem to make sence now.
I suppose I feel a little hurt and concerned because Dad was placed in the NH direct from hospital so we really had no time to consult them on their way of working, and no choice in where he was placed. I was also told they (the NH) would consult us on the careplan and as no-one has contacted me or asked to speak to me i am not sure what is happening. As I work full-time it is very difficult to see anyone in authority as there only ever seems to be care assistants around when I visit.
I took photos of his injuries yesterday and will continue to monitor the situation.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
You're doing the right thing, Jack. We all need to monitor the situation all the time.

I understand your problem with talking to someone in authority. Could you ring and ask for an appointment to speak to someone out of hours? I'm sure they would do that for you if you tell them you are concerned about your dad. If not, I'd say you'd have definite grounds for complaint.

Keely

Aug 6, 2007
So sorry

Hi Jack
I have just read your posting and although I am not at this stage with my mother I have a mentally and physically disabled sister and have had to battle (and I mean battled!) for good care for her so the principles are the same. I have worked in the NHS and in Local Authority and at regional government level all in senior posts relating to aspects of care. I hope the following is helpful:
1) I would firstly find out who owns the care home and who the person in charge of this care home is. Tedious as it is I would write a letter to the person in charge and copy it to the Chief Executive of the care company who owns the home. I would clearly state your concerns particularly that there is no written care plan. Make it clear you need and want to be including in the drawing up of the care plan (you have a right to do this). I would also inform them of quickly you require a response and how urgent you feel the care issues are.
2) From now onwards I would keep a written diary for your self of issues and problems it’s always useful to note any good things as it helps to be positive. I keep a written journal of what the issue is, who I have spoken to about concerns and what their response was/is. Keep all copies of letters and responses. If you are unhappy with things that are said to you write and ask for a written response. I found this type of journal was invaluable when I had to go through the complaints procedure with local authority and it prevented all manner of (poor) assessment of needs, poor care and poor care plans being implemented.
3) I would also find out who is the Director or Commissioner for Older People in your Local Authority and either copy the letter to them or just explain in the letter to the care home and the care company if the issues are not resolved in the time frame you have stated then you will be writing to the Local Authority re your reservations and concerns about the care home.
4) The written care plan is essential so before it’s drawn up write down every thing that you think your father needs tell them what they are and put the responsibility on them to find ways of meeting your father’s needs by means of the care plan. They have a duty of care.
5) Although the home sounds pitiful and you are worried I would not rush to move your father because you need to make sure you have time to research a prospective new home well first. I expect there is guidance on doing this on the AS web site. I would think about contacting the local AS and as people there about homes. When visiting prospective new homes I would ask to look at their policies and ask about e.g. stimulation and other concerns you have. I would also ask when most people visit residents and try to call and speak to the relative and friends of the current residents. If a home is transparent and providing good care they should be ok with this. It’s obviously vital if you move your father to get him the best care you can and not just out of the "fat" and possibly into the "fire!"
Just on a final note the fire drill in homes and hospitals are not often what you would think they would be. Visitors are often requested to leave. Depending on the fire policy residents may or may not in the first instance be evaluated. As far as 7 month pregnant worker it all depends on health and safety regulations. Often now staff are not allowed to lift with out lifting aids and therefore its not perceived as a risk to staff or resident/patient if staff are pregnant( daft I know but it depends on employment law and healthy and safety and company policy in compliance with this).
It’s hard enough to watch our loved ones suffer with out having the stress of poor care. However I have found that there are good people who care and their kindness sometimes overwhelming.
Good luck with it all caring is just not easy and you must feel so disappointed after the worry you had when he was in his home.
Keely

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Well I have made an appointment with the care home manager for next Monday. Also I have asked for a note to put on his careplan/file that we wish to be informed if he has a fall and to be told what injuries he has and what action has been taken.When I asked about the fall the manager said she had not been in on Friday and knew nothing of the fall, she took my mobile number and said she would call me back...that was at 1.30pm.....it's now 4.30pm and still not had a call back....this is the sort of thing that worries me! Anyway I am also going to visit the NH nearer to home on Monday, which Dad is 3rd on the waiting list for, and I am going to cover with them all the things that concern me in the current NH. Starting to feel more in control already..thanks for all the advice:)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
That's brilliant, Jack -- apart from the phone call!:eek:

Make a list of all your points, and ask both managers the same. You'll be able to tell if they're wriggling!

Let us know how you get on.

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Thanks Skye. She did call at 4.50pm:eek:.Her response was "he only has a couple of grazes and is fine". I asked about what happened and she said they dont know as they found him on the floor in his room....so how long had he been there? She the said "well he had several falls in hospital did'nt he?" so I said "yes and they always called to let me know"!!
She then went on to say she knew this was not my first choice of NH....I was not given a choice as it was the only place in the area that had a bed.....and that she thinks a social worker should be present at our meeting...fine with me as I will be taking my Sister too. I also said we have put Dad's name down on a waiting list for some other home's....to which she replied that she was unaware of that and that she should have been told that....the SW from the discharge team told me it was fine to put his name down at other NH and nothing was said about letting the current NH know. Should be an interesting meeting.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I think it's an excellent idea to have your SW and your sister present. That way, whatever's agreed, they have to stick to. The SW should make notes, and give you a copy of the report.

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Jack
Well done for taking charge! you have received some excellent advice already. Could I just add that I have heard this excuse before concerning my dad. Infact it was almost exactly the same. When I asked about my dad falling they said they just found him on the floor, they never saw him fall. Which I suppose is a reasonable explanation in some respects, but I was never happy with it, I felt it was defensive and evasive When I found Dad on the floor, I assumed that he had fallen, either out of bed, off his chair or from standing. As my dad didn't crawl about on the floor at all. If the fall wasn't documented - I would say that this is serious and the social worker should be acting on it urgently. I know your dad is down on another waiting list, but he's got to be safe where he is now.
I hope that you can be reassured soon.
take care
hendy