Moving Care homes

Sarest

May 11, 2011
Sussex
I know this has been discussed before but this is a slightly different situation..

My dad has mod Alzheimer's and has been in his current setting for 18months.. dad is self funding and we are desperate to move him.

He ended up in his current placement due to needing respite which then became permanent - he was bed blocking at the hospital.

His current setting is generic and not dementia focused and we have real concerns about his basic care needs, never mind the extra support he could do with. Psychiatrist and others have raised questions about the setting too.

We had planned to try and time a move if there was another hospital admission but after visiting other potential homes we realise how "poor" his quality of life/care is and feel awful about having had to wait in the first place.

Has anyone else been through this process?? Got any advice?

Thank you
S

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Sarest
I haven't moved dad, luckily his care home is a good one - but I wouldn't hesitate if I thought he wasn't receiving the care he needs
so, I'd say go ahead - now you know what you are looking for in a home, you'll be able to spot the better ones, asking questions about your dad's specific care needs - then get your dad's name down on waiting lists
at least you are not, this time, in a crisis situation so you have time to consider
and, personally, I wouldn't discuss this with the current home manager/staff - they don't need to know until you give notice, as knowing or not makes no difference to the provision of your dad's care
best wishes

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As your dad is self funding all you have to is approach your chosen care homes and ask them to assess him.

If his finances are approaching the upper limit it might be wise to try and get an LA financial assessment.