Moving Care home

Barby

May 5, 2008
Hi everyone Now stepmum has died we want to move FIL to be near us He is section 3 and 117.
Will our CC pay for his care when we transfer him or does it remain with the original CC. Perhaps we will have to pay for him?
Can anyone point us in the right direction to get some answers please. We seem to be waiting and waiting for things to get moving at his end
thanks Barby

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Barby,
I don't know what section 3 and 117 refer to but what is your FIL's problem and why do you wish to move him, other than to be nearer you? Is he so far away?

If he is suffering from Alzheimer's, I'd like to point out that moving him will disorientate and confuse him enormously. It might take him weeks or months to settle in again. I understand you might not have much of a choice, as I had to move my mother from British Columbia to Ontario. This move threw her into a deep confusion.

Moves will also brutally highlight the patient's inabilities to learn new things. I am not saying not to move him, as long as you are aware of the difficulties of moving someone with AD. But I was told by a geriatric psychiatrist to only move my mother once. This was when she was in a retirement home, prior to going into a nursing home. So it's best to work things out carefully first and then move the person.

Keep us posted. Take care.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well if he's sectioned you definitely should not be paying for him. It's going to be down to the two specific PCT (Primary care trusts). It's possible they may have reciprocal arrangements or possibly not. I think you would be well advised to call the helpline about this. Mind also has a lot of information on their website http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Legal/s117.htm#pro

Barby

May 5, 2008
Hi Canadian Joanne
He has AD but the care home and the Psych nurses say he will be ok to move.He is too far for me to travel due to illhealth and it would mean we can give him so much more quality time and he will also get more visits from his family

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
Hi Barby from what I understand from when O/H's Grandma was considering moving from the NW to the NE, is that it is the original CC that still pays the bill, but the local CC has to agree that they would pay that amount to the care home, IE: they must consider it worth it.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
If he is suffering from Alzheimer's, I'd like to point out that moving him will disorientate and confuse him enormously.

Just trying to throw a mixed view/experience here. Although the above may be true in some cases, it does depend on the stage and individual. We moved dad about 18 months ago when he was mid/late stage and I really expected the worse. However, he settled into the home surprisingly well and very quickly. He went back to his normal wandering discovering new routes in the home. Dad was very settled very quickly. I agree that perhaps some individual in early stages may find a move stressful. We did make a real point of seeing dad as much as possible for the first few weeks of the move.

One thing I would say Barby, is that it has made it so much easier visiting dad and keeping on top of his day-to-day care. We are so much more involved with the home and it has made such a difference with dealing with dads illness and very sad decline. Not easy by any means, but we primarily moved dad to be closer to us (and mum at the time). It is all a case of finding the right home for you father in law.

Good luck and sorry I cannot help with the other issues. Dad has ended up paying for all his care.

Kind Regards
Craig