Moving Care Home.

Badleg60

May 19, 2017
Hi

My lovely Mum is presently in a Care home, who stated they could support people who have dementia , unfortunately things are not good, she has also fallen badly twice. I thought last week she was going to die. She has been there 12 weeks.They have little or no skills within Dementia support. Myself and Dad have found a new care home, that has few residents and support people with Dementia only. The move is next week. I am worried how I am going to be able to move Mum, as since the fall she will not walk, she cries out not to drop her or let her die. I have a plan , Mum generally responds well to myself, when care staff say that she not eating or drinking, I go along and she does both. So myself and the carer she had at her home, plan to be the supports and movers. However I would love any suggestions on how to make this as stressless as possible. I don't know how to explain the move or even how to get her to come outside to the car. All suggestions to support Mum would be very very welcome .

Think I posted this in wrong place please move to correct place if I have

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Badleg60
I think this is going to be a sensible move. Many care homes say that they will accept people with dementia, but what they really mean is that they only want people in the early stages who arent going to be any trouble! As you say, the staff are often not trained in dementia care. I do hope she gets better care at the new place.

I wouldnt tell your mum in advance about the move as she will probably get very anxious. I would be inclined to tell her you are going to go somewhere for tea and cake and then move her. Liase with the new care home so that they are aware of the move. As there are two of you, once she is there, one of you stay with her, while the other one packs up her things in the old care home, brings them to the new care home and unpacks them into her room. Dont let her see you packing or unpacking. Once everything is organised I would co-ordinate things with the care home, they may have suggestions about what they have found works, but otherwise you could tell her that as this is such a lovely place you thought she would prefer to be here. Im sure the staff will be able to smooth things over.

I hope it all goes well
xx

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I would do as @canary suggests. I had to be devious and inventive...economical with the truth..tell love lies and distract to move dad to his NH. I hope all goes well.

Badleg60

May 19, 2017
Hi

My lovely Mum is presently in a Care home, who stated they could support people who have dementia , unfortunately things are not good, she has also fallen badly twice. I thought last week she was going to die. She has been there 12 weeks.They have little or no skills within Dementia support. Myself and Dad have found a new care home, that has few residents and support people with Dementia only. The move is next week. I am worried how I am going to be able to move Mum, as since the fall she will not walk, she cries out not to drop her or let her die. I have a plan , Mum generally responds well to myself, when care staff say that she not eating or drinking, I go along and she does both. So myself and the carer she had at her home, plan to be the supports and movers. However I would love any suggestions on how to make this as stressless as possible. I don't know how to explain the move or even how to get her to come outside to the car. All suggestions to support Mum would be very very welcome .

Think I posted this in wrong place please move to correct place if I have
Thank you for your suggestions

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew