Moving back to UK

Milatoschris

May 29, 2018
in May I wrote here saying my husband had just been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. We lived abroad and I could decide what to do. Well I made the decision to move back, at first he was really angry but I just let him rant on, couple of days later he came and told me he agreed. We have moved back and have the support of family, and this had helped me cope. The consultant has since asked for further tests. Waiting for the results 1st Feb is our appointment. Finding this forum comforting. X

Milatoschris

May 29, 2018
Well one bit of good news, though my husband has been diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimer’s, a recent brain scan has ruled out Parkinson’s. One less thing to worry about. Still awaiting his lumber punch results. I’m learning very slowly, how to cope with his moods. I find that a walk each day does us both good. Just dread when he goes on the computer, and messes all his passwords out, and calls me to help sort everything out. Never counted to 10 so many times. X

Milatoschris

May 29, 2018
Evening. Can I ask do I need to get power of attorney. My husband has early onset Alzheimer’s. I worry if later he is ill and in hospital, how do I stand about his medical care.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Evening. I would recommend getting both financial and health & welfare power of attorney as soon as possible. Some here have had no problems in relation to health/medical care without having the health & welfare LPA but I found that I really needed it when dealing with the hospital and social services so I think it's better to have it. This factsheet contains lots of useful information with regards LPA: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/lasting-power-attorney

Milatoschris

May 29, 2018
Evening. I would recommend getting both financial and health & welfare power of attorney as soon as possible. Some here have had no problems in relation to health/medical care without having the health & welfare LPA but I found that I really needed it when dealing with the hospital and social services so I think it's better to have it. This factsheet contains lots of useful information with regards LPA: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/lasting-power-attorney
Thankyou I will read the attachment xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, do get POA (both financial and health&welfare) as soon as you can. My mum became paranoid and refused to give POA, so eventually I had to go the the Court of Protection to get deputyship for her. It is similar to POA, but much more costly, takes more time and is overseen by the Office of Public Guardians. I so wish that I could have got POA for mum.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
POA both health and finance have made our life so much easier when helping my mother in law. I would recommend everyone of any age sets up POA , you never know what is around the corner. Many insurance companies will not even talk to relatives unless there is a POA in effect, whether it is a car accident or issue when abroad on holiday.
Remember if you have any it skills the paperwork can be filled in online or people like age concern can help rather than employing a solicitor.
https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/make-lasting-power

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
If you think your husband is anyway reluctant, you could make it something that you both do - just as something that all sensible people do, to safeguard themselves.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
If you think your husband is anyway reluctant, you could make it something that you both do - just as something that all sensible people do, to safeguard themselves.

It`s what we did when my husband was diagnosed. A mutual Lasting Power of Attorney prevents so many problems later on.