Moving abroad

anamarija

May 2, 2014
Hi

This is my first posting and sorry I have put this in the wrong forum.

Has anybody any experience they can share of moving a family member from UK to a EU country? The home is superb that we want to move the relative to and they can be near us. Any advice? Any suggestions? Or have you heard of anybody else who has done this. We have a well planned transfer but are receiving opposition from LA.
Thanks for your help.

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Hi Anamarija and welcome to TP.

I am afraid I don't have experience of this, but was wondering on what grounds the LA is opposing the move. Could you give a few more details of your relative's circumstances/condition to help us give you our thoughts?

It sounds a good idea, though. Easier for you to take care of your relative if you are close by.

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
Hi! It isn't clear from your post why the LA thinks the new home is not suitable?

There was a case recently where an elderly woman was moved by her relatives from the UK to Saudi Arabia against a best interests decision by the Court of Protection. I'm sure it is very different from your situation where you have a good home planned for her, but it might help to give an idea of some of the concerns that the LA might have.

You can find it here:
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCOP/2015/3.html

In a Whirl

Feb 23, 2015
My understanding is that:
1.An LA has responsibility for everyone living within their area.
2.This comes into play particularly if a person lacks capacity.
3. Following a series of assessments a best interest decision is made by the LA.

You in essence are challenging their best interests decision.

Does this seem about right?

I'm sure others will come along with more advice/clarification.

anamarija

May 2, 2014
Hi
Actually we, the family, have been asking for a,Best Interest Meeting for months and it was declined. Mum is,self funding. I have not been able to say much because I cannot reveal her identity. My brother and I have LPA. We have now been granted a best interest meeting and the social worker has been removed. The home is in Slovenia and far excels anything we have come across in UK and we live close.

Aussiesheila

Jul 13, 2013
Good luck

Hi
Actually we, the family, have been asking for a,Best Interest Meeting for months and it was declined. Mum is,self funding. I have not been able to say much because I cannot reveal her identity. My brother and I have LPA. We have now been granted a best interest meeting and the social worker has been removed. The home is in Slovenia and far excels anything we have come across in UK and we live close.

i moved my mum 4 years ago from UK to Australia, it was the best thing I could have done. My husband and I looked after her in our home until 6 months ago when she has now moved into a lovely care home just a short distance from me, so I can still be with her every day. It has meant that she has had family around her who care about her and still do. So I say good luck to you in fulfilling your wish to make this move, and I hope the meeting goes well.