1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Movie get into fulltime care from hospital.

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Optomistic, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Optomistic

Optomistic Registered User

Jul 24, 2014
    Manchester
    My hubby has been in hospital six weeks due to abusive behaviour. He is being discharged into fulltime care next week on a six week free trial. If this isn’t sucessful do they find him somewhere else, I’m frightened they will send him back home to me. He’s aggressive at night and can’t cope.He suffers with Alzheimer’s with Alphasia had it sux years.

2. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    This sounds like he is in a reablement/assessment scheme.
    Mum had 6 weeks reablement/assessment after a stay in hospital. At the end of it there was a Best Interest Meeting so that doctors, SWs, the home manager and me could decide where mum would be best placed - back home with a care package, in a care home, a different care home, or a nursing home. At that meeting it was decided that mum could not return home and the best place would be a care home.

At the Best Interest Meeting you need to tell them that you are frightened about him coming home and you couldnt cope. I should imagine that they will be looking to see what kind of residential place he needs.

3. Sirena

Sirena Registered User

Feb 27, 2018
    Female
    If your husband's behaviour was too challenging for a care home with professional experienced staff, they would struggle to justify sending him home for you to look after, as it would put you both at risk. If the first CH couldn't deal with his aggression, they would find him a placement in another CH which could.

4. Normaleila

Normaleila Registered User

Jun 4, 2016
    They can't force you to take him back.