moved into care home

esinedee

Jan 13, 2016
This is Mums second day in care home, she is in the early stages of advanced dementia, I know this will be usual behaviour as she is somewhere different but she hates it, she's not staying, why have I moved her there she was happy where she was before. She had to move out of sheltered accommodation because of her wandering and hence being unsafe .

Lots of you will have been through this, how long will it take her to settle? I had no choice but feel terrible.

Thanks
Esined

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hello esinedee, yes, many of us have been there. I'm sorry you are feeling terrible. I think that even when there is no alternative, that it's probably impossible to "feel good" about moving someone into a care home, for a variety of reasons.

My mother was a little less advanced than your mother, and with it enough (well, some of the time) to know that she was in a care home and not in her own home. She had been in hospital for about 12 days prior to the move to the care home, but had no memory of that, nor the crisis that prompted her being sectioned. (She has Alzheimer's and short term memory problems.)

I got all the blame and it was not pretty (the usual accusations of wanting to steal her money and so forth). Like your mother, my mother was "fine" living alone at home, there was nothing wrong with her, this was all my fault, et cetera. In reality, my mother was not fine, her flat was filthy, she wasn't eating, she wasn't taking her medications properly, she was malnourished and underweight, she was wandering and getting lost, she had given money to scammers, I'm sure you know the story.

What my husband and I did, after the day she moved in, and with the support of the care home staff, was that I didn't visit for about 6-8 weeks. She responded well to my husband and he would visit her. When I did begin visits, I never went alone, and never stayed long.

I think my mother settled fairly quickly, definitely within the first few months. We did get a lot of upset and confused phone calls at the beginning, but those have long since stopped. I would say to give it at least six weeks before you begin to worry, and I'd also be sure to talk to the staff (privately in their office or on the phone) often to get a sense from them, about how they feel your mum is settling. Even though I expected it with the dementia, my mother's version of how she was (I sit alone in my room all day and I don't have any medicine and haven't eaten and there is nobody here) was very different from the reality (your mother is happily playing bingo/chatting in the lounge/has just eaten ice cream).

Try to be kind to yourself, and maybe you will sleep better, knowing your mother is safe and looked-after. I found it took me a few weeks to get used to not having to worry about her every moment of every day. It's a big adjustment for everybody.

Best wishes to you, and if you get a chance and are so inclined, please feel free to update us.

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Hi esined
Not sure I have any answers but can empathise with how difficult it is. 2 weeks ago today my mum and dad moved into a care home. Both have AD, mum more advanced than dad. Living at home became unsustainable, and it was the hardest decision ever. After dropping them off, I didn't visit for a few days, and then for only a short time over a couple of days. My sister visited them over the weekend and then I have been twice more and they seem to be settling in. Supporting them living at home was hard, and whilst this is a relief it is quite difficult and a different challenge and mixed with lots of emotions. I keep reminding myself that they are well looked after, safe, and are fundamentally unable to make their own decisions for their wellbeing. Dad is asking about home, but I try to deflect this by saying all is being taken care of, and he needs to be with mum where she can be looked after properly (difficult as they are always together!).
You are doing what's best for your Mum, though she may not recognise this, but you are...hold that thought and don't feel terrible! Gx