Move to care home

Give me sunshine

Mar 1, 2019
London
Hi everyone. My 82 year old dad has Alzheimer's and has quite rapidly deteriorated. He's had live-in care for the past two years but it's now definitely time for him to move into a care home. I have found somewhere lovely and we're planning to move him in soon, but I'm very nervous about the next stage ie a) how, when and what to tell him about the plans b) how to settle him in. I'm aware that a few white lies will be needed but also despite his limited comprehension I'm pretty sure he knows something is up/about to change and I want to be respectful and not just suddenly spring the move on him with absolutely no preparation. Is it a good idea for me to take him to the care home a couple of days advance of the move-in date for a cup of tea/a chance to look round and get a feel for the place? Really hope others will be happy to share their experiences and advice as it's so hard to know how to approach this. Thank you in advance :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Is it a good idea for me to take him to the care home a couple of days advance of the move-in date for a cup of tea/a chance to look round and get a feel for the place?

It sounds a good idea but is more likely to help you than to help your dad. What do you do if your dad`s having a bad day?

Have you considered respite care for a week or two? That will give you a better idea.

You could tell your dad he will be going to a convalescent home to help build his health and strength but even so I wouldn`t tell him too far in advance. It may only give him something to confuse or cause further anxiety.

Give me sunshine

Mar 1, 2019
London
Thank you. I honestly don't know how to handle this, how far in advance to tell him etc. Also it definitely needs to be permanent, there's no way we can bring him back after a couple of weeks of respite unless something goes badly wrong.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My suggestion would be to say as little as possible in advance. Moving to a care home is in his best interests and you see it as irreversible. Telling him might spark bad feeling or hostility for no apparent gain. You are being respectful by doing what is best to meet his needs. I did not tell my wife in advance, avoiding potential resistance, and - I believe - making the transition easier.

Give me sunshine

Mar 1, 2019
London
My suggestion would be to say as little as possible in advance. Moving to a care home is in his best interests and you see it as irreversible. Telling him might spark bad feeling or hostility for no apparent gain. You are being respectful by doing what is best to meet his needs. I did not tell my wife in advance, avoiding potential resistance, and - I believe - making the transition easier.
Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom and experience with this, it's hugely appreciated. This is a lovely supportive community. Can I ask - what did you say to your wife on the day of the move? How did you explain it all to her when you were there? Thank you again

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It does depend on how much the person with dementia notices. My wife's ability to retain what she was told was diminished by the time of her move. I said that we needed to go out in the car, having previously packed her suitcase and put it in the boot. On the 5 mile drive she asked a few times where we were going. I was well used to just grunting a reply along the lines of 'we are nearly there'. Her care home has no sign outside. As we drew up I said that I had some business inside. Would she wait in the car or come in with me? She of course chose to come in. I rang the doorbell and the friendly staff opened the door with a cheery greeting. They whisked her off for a cup of tea. Out of her sight, I handed over the suitcase and left. By the time I reached home I knew that her trial stay was almost certain to become permanent.

I have never talked about it with my wife. I did not visit for a week and when I did I was met with smiles and no recriminations. For months she talked about going 'home' but it was to a home that was a memory of childhood where her parents still lived. She settled in quite quickly at first then went through a short-lived aggressive phase. Now, 3 years on, she has all her needs met, is accepting of personal care, loved by the staff and more content than I thought possible. I can be her husband again rather than her carer. That is about the best that I could wish for.

Give me sunshine

Mar 1, 2019
London
This is wonderful to read, and I am so happy to hear that things are peaceful and settled for you both. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Megan M

Jul 18, 2019
It's so lovely to find others in a similar situation and willing to be supportive in this way.
My brothers and I are currently concerned that it won't be viable for mum to stay at home if she continues to make unfounded accusations about her brilliant carers and her health continues to deteriorate. We are planning on visiting a care home with a view to moving mum in when the time is right....However, Mum's worst nightmare is the idea of a care home. If we try to discuss it in advance with Mum she will be livid, never agree and quite likely go into 'total meltdown' making everything so much more stressful for everyone. So we don't plan to tell Mum in advance. We will imply we are going on a jolly family outing. As the care home is near one of my brothers and over an hour and a half's drive from my mum's house, we think we will need to do the move in one go, without any option for my Mum to return home. To make the move work is going to be a huge challenge for all of us.....and like you we are nervous!

A few helpful tips I've already come across are as follows.....

1. Plan the move well in advance.
2. Imagine all the awkward questions you may be asked about 'what is going on'.....and plan answers that are likely to be accepted.
3. Have a family member or close friend already at the home when you arrive to help create a familiar and positive welcoming party.
4. Discuss your concerns with the care home manager well in advance so that together you can agree a viable move plan.
5. It's really important to aim to make the transition as positive as possible, so be available round the clock for the first 72 hours to support staff solve any issues arising.
6. If all goes well from the 4th day onwards you can try reducing visits to once a day.
7. After 1 week - a few weeks try reducing visits to every 3rd day, then permanently to once a week.
8. Be prepared for set-backs.
9. Know that you are doing the right thing in taking control of this move on behalf of your loved one.
10. Read 'Contented Dementia', a useful book by Oliver James

Lots of work....but hopefully worth it in the long run!
I hope this helps.