Move from Care Home to Nursing Home

Moose1966

Feb 10, 2017
Staffordshire
ive posted on here before and found so much help and support, truly amazing to have this forum . I’m having to move mum next week as her health has deteriorated so much that CH feel she would benefit NH , all involved are concerned about move but feel the benefit outweighs the risk of move . Has anyone got advice ......mum is 86 , bedridden, not eating much apart from tsp or two of porridge, minimum fluids , end of life pack is in CH with her . Im so worried .

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
ive posted on here before and found so much help and support, truly amazing to have this forum . I’m having to move mum next week as her health has deteriorated so much that CH feel she would benefit NH , all involved are concerned about move but feel the benefit outweighs the risk of move . Has anyone got advice ......mum is 86 , bedridden, not eating much apart from tsp or two of porridge, minimum fluids , end of life pack is in CH with her . Im so worried .

Have the nursing home been to assess your mum’s needs?
I can appreciate your worry. I had a debate in my head about whether to move my mum back from the hospital to her nursing home but she was just too poorly. Moving her would probably have speeded up her demise. It seems that the existing home are pushing the move, have they told you why they can’t look after her anymore?

Moose1966

Feb 10, 2017
Staffordshire
Thank you for your reply I appreciate you are still very raw and grieving for your mum ❤️.They want to move her as her needs have moved from care to nursing and they are purely Care / Residential. She will have better nursing support in new place I just wish there was an easier way to transport her other than ambulance, she’s not been outside in two years due to her anxiety etc , she’s bedridden and legs have contracted to foetal position ..... it’s going to be stressful moving her . But I hope it will avoid the need for hospital stays.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Thank you for your reply I appreciate you are still very raw and grieving for your mum ❤️.They want to move her as her needs have moved from care to nursing and they are purely Care / Residential. She will have better nursing support in new place I just wish there was an easier way to transport her other than ambulance, she’s not been outside in two years due to her anxiety etc , she’s bedridden and legs have contracted to foetal position ..... it’s going to be stressful moving her . But I hope it will avoid the need for hospital stays.

Ah thank you, if I can be of any help to forum members with my experience then I am happy to help.
I suspected you would say that. I think then you have no choice in the matter other than to go with it & to try & make the move as easy as possible for your mum. It is a shame that carers will have to get to know your mum all over again.
I think if my mum has been less poorly then I would have moved her out of the hospital but sadly this was not the case & we did think about it several times.

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Hello there - Your mums conditions sound so similar to my mums.A slightly different scenario but we had to move my mother to a new NH has her current one was giving up the nursing care side. There was a lot of concern whether mum would survive the move but I had the most fantastic social worker who supported me all the way with the move. She performed risk assesments, got the ambulance service in to assess how they would move mum. She was so focused on making sure the move was has smooth and as little pain to mum as possible. Mum not only survived but has settled really well in a lovely NH. In the last home mum lay in the bed 24/7 but the new home get her in a special supporting chair and take her into the lounge for a few hours. She never opens her eyes now but it must be great to have the hustle and bustle going on. I guess everything happens for a reason

Can you get help from a social worker to support you? I have to say I was worried sick but it all went well and the support I had was amazing. I did get a speeding ticket the day they moved mum. My head was everywhere that day.